• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ja Dubow 27798 (Platon) A-2 jacket review and pics

mulceber

Length looks good to me, and the jacket looks great. I experienced the same nagging sensation when I got a Dubow. It passes, although I now often wear my pants at WW2 level for my REALLY short A-2s.

Brettafett

It looks great! Shoulders, sleeves, body are perfect! But, to be completely honest, I recon you need an inch to the body ;)
I agree though, a 44 would be to big in the body.
The important thing, is how you feel wearing it.

Greg Gale

Fits me kinda like this, maybe a touch longer:

front_view3.jpg

So you're saying it's within acceptable limits? I'd really like it to be a keeper because I much prefer the hide, the color and the knits over my ELC Star. It's also more comfy.

Brett, yeah, an inch to the back would be nice, but that would blow things out of proportion without an inch to the sleeves - but those are where I want them to be. I'm looking forward to comparing it with my Star side by side because I forgot how that one fits exactly.

Lorenzo_l

I have the same problem, if one can call it that. My size 40 Dubow could have used another 1" in the body. A size 42 would have been too baggy though. I am in the process of getting used to it too. Welcome to the club, Greg.

Last edited:

Changeling

Looks great Greg, at 6ft 2 myself my size 48 is short looking, but hardly any different from where yours comes down to. When I look at your photo I do not think I am looking at a jacket that`s too short, it looks fine to me and of course the A2`s are short jackets.

Smithy

Looks good from here but it's all about how it feels on you. You'll have a better idea once you've worn it a bit and the leather starts to relax.

I'm 6' 2'' and to get the length that would have worked for me with one of Platon's Dubows the body fit would have resembled a bin liner. They're unfortunately too short for my build.

I'll get a 5 Star Doniger once Shawn does the last few changes and fine tuning and the apocalypse has passed.

Hope you're washing and dressing that leg!

stanier

A last walk before the lockdown in my new Dubow. Slightly large in the torso but still period correct and quite comfy. Ahoulders and sleeve length are perfect. It’s just a bit on the short side for my 6 foot height and regular pants. A 44 would have been 1/2 inch longer and much baggier. I’m gonna wear it a bit and see if I can get used to the length or it will bother me.

View attachment 34218
What size is that Greg?

mulceber

Well, from what I've heard (I think from Brett), the Dubows are unusual, because whereas most A-2s are a little wider, pit-to-pit, in the front than they are in the back, the Dubows are the opposite. The result is that the circumference is a bit more generous than the pit-to-pit of 22.5 inches would suggest.

Greg Gale

OK, here is my full review of my size 42 seal Dubow, as well as a comparison with my older ELC Star.

The hide seems to be a bit thicker and less pliable, but that's probably because it's still new. It has larger grain than my ELC, it's more matte and lighter colored with less of that reddish hue - all this is an improvement IMO, I prefer the Dubow in this aspect. The hide needs some serious breaking in to match my Star, but it's a bit hard to do in quarantine. I need to gather dozens of flying hours in it, and I'm curious how it develops.

The knits re very sturdy and only slightly reddish, much less than on any pictures I've seen.

It has more excess room in the chest and especially in the belly area, less slim fit, but I think it's perfectly period correct - maybe even more so. I tried a 42 Star, and it felt like wearing a tent - this one doesn't feel like that at all. The pattern of the waist area is sewn in a way that it always "blouses" slightly, like on old photos. I thought it was due to the size, but no, it's the pattern. You can see it on the unzipped photo. The most important aspect is not reflected in the measurements: The larger armhole and wider upper arms allow a much easier movement. It is on the short side for taller folks like me, but as you see, wearing WWII pants and shirts it's nothing you don't see on period photos. All in all I believe it's as accurate of a Dubow repro as it can get, and for the price it's a steal.

My measurements, size 42:
Pit to pit: 22 3/4
Back: 24 1/4
Shoulder: 18
Sleeves: 25 1/4

Pics: excuse the non-regulation haircut, it's hard to find a barber these days :)

IMG_5016.JPG
IMG_5021.JPG
IMG_5023.JPG
IMG_5025.JPG
IMG_5027.JPG

In comparison, here is my old Star. I haven't worn it in a year, and put it on just now after 2 weeks of wearing my Dubow, so I could form an objective opinion.

It's more of a reddish dark seal, but it's astonishing how well it's broken in. It's got beautiful character after all those flying hours, and it feels more pliable too. It's like ELC's time worn option, but way better and way less overdone. On the other hand, the knits feel very flimsy in comparison. It's 1 cm longer than the Dubow and the pattern doesn't blouse as much. This extra length is an advantage, as well as a more slim fit belly area which suits my size 32 waist better. BUT...the shoulders are slightly narrower, the sleeves are shorter and most importantly much tighter, as well as the armhole. It makes every movement feel very restrictive, and results in a lot of pulling back on the sleeves. It kind of feels like an old, outgrown garment. Not sure how much it was the case a year ago, and how much it's due to the effect of 1 year of daily surifing on my body, but this is the case. As soon as international shipping becomes possible again, I will need to part with it. As much as I love the Star, it will fit someone else much better. I'm curious what you guys think too.

Measurements, size 40:
Pit to Pit: 21
Back: 24 1/2
Shoulder: 17 3/4
Sleeves: 24 3/4

IMG_5033.JPG

IMG_5035.JPG

IMG_5038.JPG