• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ja Dubow 27798 (Platon) A-2 jacket review and pics

Smithy

If you can fit more than a shirt and a C-2 sweater thing then it's probably too big. Remember the A-2 wasn't meant to be a cold temperature flight jacket, it's basically just a windcheater. If you're looking for warmth and a 1944 sort of vibe then consider a B-10. And I agree with the others if you want an A-2 jacket to wear a modern hoodie under, then you don't actually want a proper A-2, it just wasn't designed to wear a lot of thick bulky layers underneath it.

Get an A-2 to wear at most, a thin sweater/jumper under like a C-2, get another jacket to layer thicker clothing under, or get a B-10, B-15, etc.

jeremiah

I normally wear my BK arco with a shirt but can fit a flannel under it. I don’t wear sweaters much.
I deal with the difference in temperature like a man. (Complaining how cold it is but too stubborn to get something warmer on.)

Smithy

I actually got away with wearing an A-2 in the coldest temps I've ever worn one last winter. It was -5 Celsius and I had on an A-2, a knock off C-2 sweater, thermal long sleeved T-shirt, scarf and A-10 gloves - no wind though. I was probably right on the absolute limit for an A-2 for me.

Smithy

Problem here Jeremiah is we get a lot of wind (it's probably the windiest place in Norway and it's not uncommon for winds here during storms to hit hurricane strength) and combined with minus temperatures being inside the Arctic Circle. So if it's really blowing and really cold you actually need a proper parka. When it gets really bad even my Irvin doesn't cut the mustard and I have to use a Canada Goose.

Smithy

Don't blame you Grant.

Wind chill is the killer here because of the extreme winds we have. Over winter they can be actually pretty dangerous due to how much they drop the effective temperature (which can be pretty cold being inside the Arctic) and if you are outside for a long time. I remember a few years back the second time we lived in Norway and were at one of the family cabins/cottages up in the mountains and a massive storm blew in. There were two Italian tourists not far from us who had gone on a day trip up in the mountains but didn't have the right gear when the storm hit. One froze to death and the other lost most of his fingers and toes.

jeremiah

7428DC32-63FB-4619-8C93-30DA6677963F.png

Smithy

No offence intended but it looks rather more grey than flowing blonde...:oops:

Bloody hell, the girl down at the chemist said that shampoo would give me golden beach hair after only 3 washes. I'm taking the stuff back, I've been bloody had!

Changeling

This morning I received my size 48 Platon J A Dubow which took two days shy of five months to arrive. As you can see it is the russet I chose and I am pretty happy with the jacket. Measuring is not my strong point but from the measurements some one posted some time ago on the forum I would say by my reckoning the jacket measures less in every direction than those measurements. I am 6 ft 2 , broad shouldered and weigh around 13.5 stone. When fully zipped up the collar is snug tight around my neck and it is completely impossible to fasten the throat hook. The jacket feels supple and arm movement is good even when fully zipped. The leather has great grain across the whole jacket but is particularly strong on the back although there are a couple of very smooth patches on the back amongst the strong grain.The jacket is neatly stitched with very good quality wool knits and the leather smells good to. There is a crease right down the middle of the back from folding to send I am guessing, any way to make this lessen in appearance? Here are the size 48 measurements posted here before, although as I say mine measures smaller. Ken

Size 48
pit to pit 25.5
shoulders 19.5
back 25.25
sleeve 26.25