• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ja Dubow 27798 (Platon) A-2 jacket review and pics

Officer Dibley

I exchanged email with him. These are new jackets as if you had ordered off the website. Quoting 3/4 month wait.
If ebay is successful, expect the waiting times to push out significantly........

Personally, i’m not prepared to wait for a jacket that you can’t return if it doesn’t meet expectations. No matter how good the “value for money” some folks think it is. If it fits & you like the hide then great. If it doesn’t then it’s a waste of money . And the waiting time to receive the jacket is against ebay shipping rules and close to beyond paypal refund period.

Caveat emptor

Dave

taikonaut

To be fair, communication with Platon has been impeccable, he always replied to me right away.

I concur. Out of all the well known repro makers they were the only one to respond about my query on jacket repair. We are a small group and not necessary growing or getting any richer. Some repro makers think they can afford to ignore us but business can easily get turned around for the worse especially in the current economic climate.

Smithy

£55 / $68 shipping from another European country seems a bit steep. Can't remember what I paid before though.

That is a bunch of arse. By the sounds of it they're being sent Greek post. Greg's was booted back and forth around Greece for 8 days before it left the country. 55 quid for that? Me thinkey no.

Last edited:

ausreenactor

Vic paid a small fortune to get the ELC Monarch to me. It cleared the United States in 36 hours. Then it took three days to clear Melbourne Airport? Then another three days to get six hours up the road. When I queried the delay at Melbourne Airport, given it was a "PRIORITY" item the customer service lady said it was a standard parcel and standard shipping timelines applied. It arrived in the last post before I flew back to Townsville. On the box is stylish text = "PRIORITY INSURED"..

Don't get me started on the premium Global Priority Shipping through eBay. A week to bounce around the United States AFTER it gets to them. And it costs more than USPS Priority?

Hmmmph.

mike735

Finally got my A2 seal from Platon, I ordered it October 2018 and it arrived August 16, 2019. Communication was okay but I was not expecting a 10 month wait. I guess he is caught up and has the materials issue sorted I had to wait for leather and zippers. The kicker is the jacket does not fit, we emailed discussed sizing and settled on a size 42 which should have been loose enough to wear with a sweatshirt according to my measurements. The jacket is just to tight to wear with a plain shirt let alone a sweatshirt or sweater. I am 5'8' 160 pounds thick through the shoulders I usually wear a size 40 in modern jackets. I have been trying to find a comfortable fitting A2 and was hoping this would be it.

Brettafett

Sorry to hear that Mike. I've been waiting for my russet version since April... No word. No replies...
Anyway, that's the thing with these. Great price for a great jacket... IF it fits.

mulceber

Would you be willing to post pictures, Mike? Not sure how many A-2 jackets you’ve owned before, but they often seem like they fit badly to people who’ve never worn them before.

petermack09

This is one of the reasons I’m considering not buying again without being able to try on,,,Iv just blown a chunk of cash on a jacket that although fantastic is just a bit tight ,,,

Brettafett

Problem is... With these type of jackets at least, they are bespoke and unless you are lucky enough to visit a showroom or pop-up... No way to try on for fit.

zoomer

Shoulder Circumference, gents!!! It's Platon's proprietary measurement, which no other maker asks for, and things probably will go completely kerflooey without it. :/

mike735

I will look into posting some pics this weekend. I have a US Wings modern A2 goat skin in large that is too big and baggy. I know that the US Wings version is a very loose interpretation of the originals. So my next purchase was a used Buzz Rickson size 42 that was also too small and it is smaller than the Platon and I have since read that the Japanese made jackets can run small. I did all the measurements requested by Platon and discussed with him that I wanted the jacket a little loose. The jackets fits but just to snug for any activity other that casual wear. My goal was to replace the US Wings jacket with a smarter looking jacket that I could wear to work, wear a thin base layer while being active. I know that the A2s fit can be unusual compared to modern style of jackets. I also bought a cheap used Orchard modern military contract flight jacket that fit good but had a musty smell that I could not get rid of.

Changeling

Shame your Platon Dubow is too small after having to wait all these months.I guess it should be possible to sell the jacket and get your money back or make a small profit considering someone could jump the queue and buy a very desirable jacket without the wait.I am expecting mine in the next couple of months or so.

mulceber

All of these are good suggestions, but I really think you should post fit pics first. When I first got my jacket I also was like “it’s too small!” Turns out I was just not used to how an A-2 should fit. That isn’t necessarily your situation, but I think it’s worth getting an opinion from the kind folks on here before you make your final decision.

Julius

I am 5'8' 160 pounds thick through the shoulders I usually wear a size 40 in modern jackets. I have been trying to find a comfortable fitting A2 and was hoping this would be it.

Man, if you got size 42 it's already one size up from what you actually need. And you think it's small?

Turns out I was just not used to how an A-2 should fit.

My guess is you 're in the same situation as Mulceber above, but we better see your fit pics before anything else can be said.

mulceber

I also just don’t think an A-2 jacket is something you should be able to fit a sweatshirt under, at least not a sweatshirt with a modern fit. If you can, the jacket’s probably too big. Regardless of what the fit pics look like, Mike should probably plan on buying a more modern fit of jacket for layering. A bunch of Ken’s non-military offerings (like the highwayman) would fit the bill.

Last edited:

jeremiah

If you want a wartime fit then no sweatshirt. If you want a practical article of clothing, fitting a light sweater, flannel or sweat shirt under for layering , you’d want some extra room.

leather is not an insulator.

That said there was a reason some contracts were roomier or less roomier on the same size.