• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ja Dubow 27798 (Platon) A-2 jacket review and pics

Skip

I have a 39 chest and find 21.5 in jacket chest is usually best, allowing for a light sweater underneath. The Star has inset sleeves ( from memory) so adds a little more comfort and freedom of movement. The Dubow had a slightly shorter back panel but more room in the upper sleeves, not inset sleeves but still comfortable. I take a size 40 long and my BK 27798 has a 21.5 chest shoulders 18 and I find it more comfortable than my Werber that has 18’ shoulder same chest. If it is a little tight it will stretch in the shoulders but I guess it’s how comfortable you prefer to be.

22.5 in the chest is a bit blousey for me, and starts to look a bit boxy. 22 you probably get away with but whereas the shoulders will stretch a little over time, the chest won’t. That’s what I’ve found out anyway

Greg Gale

I have a 39 chest and find 21.5 in jacket chest is usually best, allowing for a light sweater underneath. The Star has inset sleeves ( from memory) so adds a little more comfort and freedom of movement. The Dubow had a slightly shorter back panel but more room in the upper sleeves, not inset sleeves but still comfortable. I take a size 40 long and my BK 27798 has a 21.5 chest shoulders 18 and I find it more comfortable than my Werber that has 18’ shoulder same chest. If it is a little tight it will stretch in the shoulders but I guess it’s how comfortable you prefer to be.

22.5 in the chest is a bit blousey for me, and starts to look a bit boxy. 22 you probably get away with but whereas the shoulders will stretch a little over time, the chest won’t. That’s what I’ve found out anyway

By this you mean I should go for the 40? What is your height/ weight if I may ask? Thanks!

Skip

Greg, I’m 6’3 slim build, weight 72kg. And I would go with your gut feeling of what you know will be comfortable based on your body measurements, and the jacket measurements that work for how you want feel in the jacket. I personally prefer the skim fit with longer sleeves/length but some like it a bit looser. With the Dubow it’s a reasonably comfortable jacket, so it should allow some leeway but it depends how you like your jackets

Ask Brett as he has one and by now will have a good feel for how it wears day to day

Micawber

Basing my opinion on the 44" platon I have I would say go at least one size up from what you would normally wear - at least. I take 44-46 GW ELC, the Platon 44" was ok although the body length could have been a tad longer and believe me I am not tall by any means.

Brettafett

I don't think I'm much help hahaha... Trouble is, this is a different pattern. In a perfect world, I'd have a 41 Long !!!
Greg and I are very similar in build... But theres also personal fit and appearance preferences to consider...
I wear a 40 long in most ELCs, probably a 42 in the Star... This 42 Dubow fits very similar to an ELC HLB size 40 would, in that it has a slightly wider waist, compared to say... RWs, Stars and the like. This is noticeable to me because I have a very trim waist (wear 31 to 32 jeans).
The BK Dubow 1755 40 I tried was too small for me to comfortably wear. It was restrictive and tight. And way too short for my liking.
Platon recommended a 40, but I am glad I went with a 42. I cant recommend this jacket enough.
Fit-wise... If I was Gandalf... Id magically reduce the waist and lower torso by an inch or so, to accommodate my preference for a trimmer feel in the lower portion of the jacket. As it is, it is classic WW2.
The pits and shoulders are perfect for me, and this jacket is super comfortable to actually/ practically wear and move around in.
Also, the waist knit of this 42 is not as tight as the ELCs that i have had. Its not loose, just not as tight. So sometimes it feels looser than it is. Again classic WW2.

Smithy

The only thing which is holding me off from ordering one of these (apart from the better half who would probably throw an epic wobbly about another jacket) is whether I need a 44 or a 46. I'm tallish, 6' 2'', my chest is around the 41 to 42 mark unexpanded, I'm 185 lbs but have rather wide shoulders.

If anyone can help I just might pull the trigger - but that's just between you fellas here and me, not a word to the missus ;-)

Smithy

I posted measurements of my 44" as it was out of the box way back when..

Thanks Steve. The problem is that I know the measurements for both the 44 and 46 but I'm unsure which to go for with me. I'm tallish so there's the sleeves and body to think about but most of all is the fit in the shoulders. I swam butterfly for school and my shoulders never recovered, they're pretty broad, you can probably see that in my AVI review pictures thread here.

One of the reasons why the Bronco is nice to wear for me is the nice wide shoulder so I'm worried whether the Dubow will present problems. Additionally I don't want to get something where the shoulders and upper body fit but the rest of it fits like a bin liner.

Micawber

Thanks Steve. The problem is that I know the measurements for both the 44 and 46 but I'm unsure which to go for with me. I'm tallish so there's the sleeves and body to think about but most of all is the fit in the shoulders. I swam butterfly for school and my shoulders never recovered, they're pretty broad, you can probably see that in my AVI review pictures thread here.

One of the reasons why the Bronco is nice to wear for me is the nice wide shoulder so I'm worried whether the Dubow will present problems. Additionally I don't want to get something where the shoulders and upper body fit but the rest of it fits like a bin liner.

Just stand in line and catch whatever the QM throws at you! ;)

Smithy

Maybe Steve!

The problem with this whole flight jacket hobby thing is that if you're not careful you end up chasing a dream, it's like a drug addict after the perfect high. You can end up being always after the perfect jacket, which doesn't exist.

I actually really do not need another A-2. I have two already, they fit me just fine, they're different colours and patterns, and they're both starting to develop nice wear.

But occasionally you get something new come up, like in this instance the new Platon job, and you start trying to convince yourself that you need it, when actually you dom't.

Nope, I'm going to try and stick with what I have and not buy another one until I've worn the bastards completely out.

Flightengineer

Maybe Steve!

The problem with this whole flight jacket hobby thing is that if you're not careful you end up chasing a dream, it's like a drug addict after the perfect high. You can end up being always after the perfect jacket, which doesn't exist.

I actually really do not need another A-2. I have two already, they fit me just fine, they're different colours and patterns, and they're both starting to develop nice wear.

But occasionally you get something new come up, like in this instance the new Platon job, and you start trying to convince yourself that you need it, when actually you dom't.

Nope, I'm going to try and stick with what I have and not buy another one until I've worn the bastards completely out.

Gold words. I have a similar situation with two mine A2s and the same thoughts. Exactly the same.

Skip

Tim, Dubow as Brett mentioned earliar is more boxy than the Bronco, so it tends to be a little baggy around the waist. The shoulder cut isn’t as broad but that is sort of made up for by the roomier upper sleeves that allow your arms more freedom of movement. It won’t look as broad shouldered but should be more practical, while at the same time they look pretty sharp ( if you can remember what mine looks know look like)

I got my Bk tailored to suit my measurements and can say that it’s a very comfortable jacket for my measurements, I’m not sure if Platon allows a lot of tailoring

Skip

Maybe Steve!

Ain’t that the truth!!

Brettafett

Eloquently said Skip... Tim, I would err on the larger side. If your other jackets are a 44, go 46. But there is no harm shelving this for a while. Gives us time to post more pics and convince you. There will be plates and animals thrown at you by your wife yet hahaha