• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ja Dubow 27798 (Platon) A-2 jacket review and pics

Micawber

Cost factor aside, judging by the 44" seal I bought late last year they are good repros that stand up well to comparison with the top tier makers. Factor in the cost and they are very, very good indeed. I will be buying another in due course.

Brettafett

Hahaha Greg! I don't think you'll have any trouble in the chest. You and I are the same, and my 42 is super comfy in chest and shoulders. You may need a little getting used to the slightly wider waist, but only because your Star is trimmer there.

Smithy

Aaaaargh...why oh why... I just pulled the trigger on a size 42 in seal. For this money, it's a steal, really. If I don't like it, I can re-sell easily, and if I do I can even make money by selling my Star. The way I see it it's pretty much the only option left for a horsehide original maker A-2 withouth winning the lottery, and who knows how long the prices remain this low. The shoulder, sleeves and length of the 42 is spot on for me, but I'm afraid of the baggy chest and torso. We shall see, the 40 would be too short definitely. Shorter than my Star.

At least I'll have something to look forward to when I return home from Bali. Whenever that shall happen. I won't have it delivered here, my leather guitar strap is already gathering mold due to the humidity. I wouldn't want that to happen to an A-2.

Yup Greg you're a classic! You have to love a guy who's living in the tropics but buys a leather jacket and has it sent to another country :D

I'm really tempted by one of these as well, although I'm unsure what I'd have to go for size-wise. My last purchased A-2 was the AVI Bronco in size 44 and I imagine if I went for one of these I'd need that or even a 46 for the length being 6' 2'' tall.

Colour would be a tough choice too after seeing Grant's russet one.

If Platon can keep these in this price range he's going to suck a lot of sales from the higher priced crowds.

Smithy

It's actually not a silly idea from that perspective plus you're got something to look forward to when you head back home!

Brettafett

Haha Tim, I couldn't buy another seal.... In fact, I debated it...
I just' pulled- a-ham' on another leather Blood Chit, and was thinking of decorating one... Lets see.

Greg Gale

Platon got back to me saying he would recommend the 40 rather than the 42. Now I'm not sure. the 21.5" chest of the 40 will be plenty enough, my Star is 21 and it's enough too. BUT: my Star has shoulders of 17" stretched to 17.3", borderline snug, and sleeves of 24.8", borderline short. The size 40 Dubow has 17.5" shoulders and 25.25" sleeves that will crease and shorten in time. Or maybe it will feel less restrictive because it's a more generous pattern?

The 22.5" chest of the 42 will probably feel like a tent though. I tried a 42 ELC RW, 22" chest, a bit too big. I tried a 42 Star, chest 22", too big.

Any advice please?