• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ja Dubow 27798 (Platon) A-2 jacket review and pics

Changeling

These jackets are among the best available and I was hoping to buy one, but I need 20.5 inches in the shoulder and the largest size, 48 has a 19.5 inch shoulder, so sadly I will not be able to get one after all.

Brettafett

Yes, I guess thats the trade off with these. Great jackets, great price, but... Std sizes, no customisation, non-returnable and would the Dubow pattern work for you.

Changeling

If the shoulder was wider I think the fit would work. I read on Goodwears site that the Dubow has wider upper sleeves, that more than makes up for a narrower back panel . Platon said the sleeve on the 48 was 26.25 and although I would prefer 26.5 there is little difference. Goodwear also say about the Dubow that it is one of the most comfortable A2`s to wear.

Last edited:

Brettafett

Yes. I tend to be broad-shouldered and trim waist, so was initially nervous of the pattern, but have to say, my jacket is really comfortable. And its wearing in beautifully as it relaxes and moulds to my shape.
I normally wear a 40, with 18" shoulders, my Dubow is a 42 with 17.5 to 17.75 shoulders and its actually fine. I have ample room to move and arm rotation is pretty good.
There 'feels' like a teeny bit more width in the waist than I'm used too, but this 'perception' is due to the pattern and also the waist knit not quite as tight as some other A-2s I've owned (an original WW2 jacket I owned was exactly like this...). Often the waist knit feels tight, bunching up/creases the leather where it attaches at the back panel, on these Dubows its less so, the leather on the back panel is not so bunched up as other repros. Not a better or worse thing, just the way this one is built. All in all, its an accurate as you'll get repro of the Dubow 27798 contract as you will find.

Brettafett

really nice jacket with good quality Horsehide for only €450.-, that's attractive!
Much better than AVI LTR's jackets
Well, yes certainly... AVI's are great jackets, also based on original jackets, but not in the same league as these. My Dubow is as good as any ELC or GW I have owned.
But price doesn't incl postage, std sizes and non-returnable. Also, the pattern is not for everyone. Well worth the gamble imo.
The AVI's are sub-400 Euros, incl postage, with discount for orders outside of EU and easy returns... Still a good prospect.

taikonaut

I wear a 38 but in between size 38 or 40 vintage. An original Dubow size 40 is roomier around the waist area so I think Dubow fits a modern figure or a "dad bod" better.

MeachamLake

Very impressed with the jackets from everything I've seen so far. What a shame that Platon won't do longer sizes. ELC and Aero are pretty much the only options for me still.

Dany McDonald

Hi,

Since some of you have already made contact, what are the measurements for size 40 and 42....?

Cant find them on the website....:(

Thank you.

Dany

zoomer

Brett
I think the jacket looks great on you with or without a sweater or long sleeve shirt. I think we tend to wear these jackets to tightly. ( I know here we go again). I’ve said this before but look at the photos of the guys in briefing rooms and around aircraft. In the winter time they are wearing long underwear , long sleeve shirts, sweaters and flight suits under these jackets.
Of course they look trim fitting with all those cloths. Now I know people will post trim fitting pictures of guys wearing jackets in the summer however the guys are still wearing long sleeved shirts which take up some room. I know we like A2 jackets to look trim with a t shirt but military men didn’t typically wear them with t shirts. Just my 2 cents worth:)
1. We don't have to layer under.

2. For most of us an A-2 is not just a handsome, rugged casual garment. (It is that for me...plus a talisman of history...but I am far from typical.) Many choose it as a kind of badge...it carries a message that goes beyond "I kinda like planes." We want to feel it SAYS something about us...and typically that means a garment that is a little exclusive. One that will NOT forgive just any old body type. That flatters us mentally as well as visually.

Last edited:

Micawber

Hi,

Since some of you have already made contact, what are the measurements for size 40 and 42....?

Thank you.

Dany

Click on the yellow label / tag at the top of the page, just of centre to the right, that will open a pop up window with sizes.

Micawber

yeah I saw that, too basic. looking for shoulder, p2p, length and sleeve...

Dany

Ah, well it would have been useful to explain that's what you were after ;) I know several have posted the measurements of their Platon Dubow's in the past, I did for the 44" I bought. You will probably find them by searching toward the end of the one or two mammoth threads that deal with these jackets. Hope that is of more help.

Dany McDonald

yeah, I did ask for measurements though...size is different...:rolleyes:

anyways thank you for the tip, I will search the forum on Plato's incredible Dubow!

Technonut2112

Hi,

Thank you.

Dany

Here's the measurements for offered sizes:

size 40
pit to pit 21.5
shoulders 17.5
back 24.25
sleeve 25.25

size 42
pit to pit 22.5
shoulders 18