• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ja Dubow 27798 (Platon) A-2 jacket review and pics

Brettafett

Heres my latest acquisition, one of Platon’s Dubow 27798 A-2s, in seal brown horsehide.
This one is a 42 (* see below), I am 5’10 trim, and it fits relatively well.
I could not go smaller, considering the Dubow pattern... (I recently tried on a new BK 1755 in a 40 and it was too small and short. Period. Awesome jacket though, one of the best repro A-2s I’ve ever seen).
Please excuse the pics. I will get around to taking better ones, but they do give a good indication of fit, and this one below... of colour,
Dubow27798 3.jpg

This is a ‘new’ pattern for me, it has slightly narrower shoulders and a slightly wider waist, easy torso… The back panel of this pattern is a bit smaller for a given size, compared to other contracts I am familiar with, but the front panels make up for it. Theres a bit of squeeze when lifting arms, but its not uncomfortable. All typical of the Dubow I believe.
Dubow27798 1.jpg

The quality and workmanship are outstanding. Very neat and tidy.
Components and hardware are tops, as advertised and expected. I love the zipper, hell it looks good. Knit appears period correct (same as those found on BK jackets ???). I am not the world’s biggest fan of the contrasting berry, red knits, but these are not overly so... more berry-brown and subtle… so interestingly enough, they are growing on me.
I love the olive drab stitching, contrasting with the seal hide. Again, authentic enough and just looks great.
Dubow27798 2.jpg

The leather feels like its the right weight and drapes well. Its not stiff, but wants to be worn and broken in. The colour is a mid seal brown... There are some variations in hue, in different panels, slightly mismatched, which I think adds character… Same for grain. Some areas have that pebbly grain popping through, other ares are a bit smoother. I recon this is going age and wear in beautifully.

* Now… This is a VERY special jacket. It is a long version. Before anyone gets excited… These are not generally available.
I spoke to Platon right in the beginning when they launched and he agreed to make me a 42 with some length added to body and sleeves.
Then there were delays and they changed their policy on this due to production and cost factors, but he held to his word, and in the end made this for me as a one-off.
Glad he did, as a std length 42 would have been too short for me for sure.
So, this is quite possible, the ONLY jacket like this in the world. Gold!

All in all, I am happy with the jacket… but I am a little unsure of the fit. I tend to be more broader shouldered/ trimmer torso, V-framed. This pattern is more A or H-framed. Plus I have a couple of jackets on the way, and do not plan on collecting jackets.
If you are 5'10, 5'11 or taller this could be perfect. PM me, I may move it. Would want to recoup monies spent at least, so this could be a winner for someone.

For the monies paid these are outstanding buys imo… The entire ‘package’ compares very well to any ELC, BK, Aero or even GW jacket (and I’ve owned numerous jackets from all… except BK, but I'm rectifying that ;) ).
If you’re in the market for a top-tier A-2… And this IS a top-tier A-2! Get one. Just double check and compare the std measurements with your favourite A-2 and make sure this pattern will work for you.
Large broad shoulders and trim waist… this may be a tricky pattern. That said, its still classic WW2 look-fit-authentic.
All depends of personal fit preferences and requirements also.
Thanks for reading!

Measurements for 42 long Approx:
Shoulders - 17.5" to 17.75"
Pit to pit front - 22.5” to 23"
Pit to pit back - 22”
Sleeve, from shoulder to end of cuff - 26.25”
Back length - 26"

jeremiah

My opinion is that with time and wear, as this settles in, the length will not only be like you wanted but will look the part too.
Veg tanned leather has a way of doing this even more so than chrome tanned leathers.
I bet if you took some of those same vintage jackets and stretched them out like new, the length would be like on your Dubow.

Admit it flightengineer. You just want an A2 halter top:D

Smithy

Brett, you write some of the best reviews on here. Useful, insightful information, opinions based on your experiences and topped off with photographs which illustrate your points and observations.

Only thing which might be good to include when you update the pics is some detail shots. The devil is in the details and especially around here!

Good stuff mate.

Brettafett

Jeremiah, I agree totally. It needs to be worn in.
Tim, also agree... I just have not had the time to take pics :D I intend to do some detail shots and better fit pics, without distortion.. collar also, as it does have curve thats not apparent here.

Skip

Gees, it must be Dubow season :cool:

Supr jacket Brett. Mine had same feel and look from the box, when it loosens up, creases you may find the chest size more to your liking if you can be that patient.

It’s the chest/ shoulder combination that’s making it look/feel boxy, you and I are pretty much the same bar height, if you want it slim 21.5 would be your max chest. That’s what I usually go for

I think it’s just the way the pattern is for Dubows, the shoulder panel runs a little short where it joins the sleeve, but compensates this with extra sleeve volume in the upper sleeve. So it doesn’t look as broad as say a Star or Werber. But sensationally comfortable, as it looks on you

Brettafett

Thanks Matt.
You are 100% correct. The BK Dubow 1755 I've ordered has a requested chest of circa 21.5"... Will be interesting to compare these side by side.
Now, I tried this jacket on again last night and it actually fits really well, even with the extra bit of room in the torso. Its not as long as it appears either...
I think the fact that its brand new and a bit stiff, also has an effect on initial impressions. This jacket is really growing on me... quickly. Its actually really comfortable...
Not that its important, but I have so many pics of WW2 pilots with A-2s that appear to fit exactly as this one does on me.

Grant

Really nice Platon Dubow, Brett,
My original Dubow is a sz 42, so went with the same size when ordering from Platon. When the jacket arrived, the Platon sz 42 was smaller overall, specially in the shoulders compared to the original. Platon's making me a sz 44 which should do the trick.

Grant

Went with russet. I was impressed how close the Platon russet color hides/knits matched an original 27798 Dubow.

Brettafett

Yes, the samples I received were both great. If he still offered long sizes, I would be seriously tempted to get a russet now also.
These jackets are great for the price, hell's teeth!

Technonut2112

Thanks Matt.
You are 100% correct. The BK Dubow 1755 I've ordered has a requested chest of circa 21.5"... Will be interesting to compare these side by side.
Now, I tried this jacket on again last night and it actually fits really well, even with the extra bit of room in the torso. Its not as long as it appears either...
I think the fact that its brand new and a bit stiff, also has an effect on initial impressions. This jacket is really growing on me... quickly. Its actually really comfortable...
Not that its important, but I have so many pics of WW2 pilots with A-2s that appear to fit exactly as this one does on me.

I have been more than pleased with my seal. The jacket is settling-in quite well, and looks the business IMO. I especially like the mix of very smooth panels contrasting against the others with more grain. Hands-down the best HH A-2 repro (brand-new) I've purchased for it's price.

I'm glad that yours is working out Brett. Personally, going by the posted pics, I think it looks great on you. It should only get better over time...

Brettafett

Yes, I can wear a collared shirt or sweater. Wore it all yesterday with a light sweater... Its really comfy.
I think also, because I have a very trim waist, the waist knit 'feels' like it could be a bit tighter, but really, I'm being silly... this jacket is going to look amazing when properly broken in.

B-Man2

Brett
I think the jacket looks great on you with or without a sweater or long sleeve shirt. I think we tend to wear these jackets to tightly. ( I know here we go again). I’ve said this before but look at the photos of the guys in briefing rooms and around aircraft. In the winter time they are wearing long underwear , long sleeve shirts, sweaters and flight suits under these jackets.
Of course they look trim fitting with all those cloths. Now I know people will post trim fitting pictures of guys wearing jackets in the summer however the guys are still wearing long sleeved shirts which take up some room. I know we like A2 jackets to look trim with a t shirt but military men didn’t typically wear them with t shirts. Just my 2 cents worth:)