• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ja Dubow 27798 (Platon) A-2 jacket review and pics

Kermit3D

Pa12

I was under the impression Eastman did this on purpose. Seem to recall at the time they had a new process to age it faster. Something about not looking like the “NFG” for long. I had an Eastman house a-2 for about 4 years before this one and it had virtually no colour loss when I sold it.

Pa12

I’m not talking about there time worn. It looked like any other new horsehide jacket when I got it.

B-Man2

I’ve owned a few ELC A2’s for 10 years plus and never had anything like this happen. I’d definitely contact ELC with photos and negotiate something.

B-Man2

Problem is cost of shipping. Back and forth from Canada would probably cost as much as I could sell it for.
Good point…. Didn’t think about that. That’s a shame …. Probably best to sell it off if you’re not happy with it. From a realistic standpoint, it does look like well worn original WWII jacket .

Pa12

About 2 years ago I snagged the left cuff. Didn’t get on it quick enough so it became a bit tattered. I emailed Eastman to get a new set. They said to ship the jacket for repairs. Can’t remember how much, but it was in the hundreds. I explained this to them and said I would like to purchase a new set of knits and have them done here. They stopped answering my emails.

B-Man2

We’ve had others here with similar experiences. I don’t want to get into knocking ELC, but they are not the same company that they were in their early years with regard to customer service. It seems like they are only interested in the bottom line . Now having said that, I think the guys living in the UK have had better experiences when dealing with ELC on customer service issues.

Pa12

Yes, being across the pond has its disadvantages. I remember buying one from them a few years back and it was a bit small. With the logistics and expense in exchanging it I just sold it and ordered another. Naturally I lost money at the end of the day. Easy come easy go. Gotta pay to play I guess.

Pa12

I actually don’t mind the way it’s worn. Looks pretty cool . Just don’t like the roughwear collar. If my dubow wore the same way it wouldn’t bother me a bit.

Pa12

Getting back to the Platon, I know they run a bit short, which I don’t mind, but I was curious as to wether this true to the original dubow or just a Platon thing.

Kermit3D

Getting back to the Platon, I know they run a bit short, which I don’t mind, but I was curious as to wether this true to the original dubow or just a Platon thing.
From what I could see Platon makes very faithful Dubow. It's probably pretty close to what ELC could do (without the premature aging and for a third of the price).

Pa12

I see your from Toulouse. I was on course there for a month in 89 . Country side is beautiful. Being a country boy I can appreciate it.

Dany McDonald

Hello Pa12,

I own both a Platon and an original 27798 and the pattern is very close overall like a copy, so yes they were short!

Dany

Micawber

About 2 years ago I snagged the left cuff. Didn’t get on it quick enough so it became a bit tattered. I emailed Eastman to get a new set. They said to ship the jacket for repairs. Can’t remember how much, but it was in the hundreds. I explained this to them and said I would like to purchase a new set of knits and have them done here. They stopped answering my emails.

I presume it's this one?

That cuff has certainly taken a battering. Replacement cuffs are available on Ebay and can easily be replaced by a competent individual with the right gear. It's a minor and often routine job.

Was the jacket pre worn when you bought it fro ELC?