• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ja Dubow 27798 (Platon) A-2 jacket review and pics

B-Man2

All this talk of Platon's Dubow... Heres mine. Jacket of the day.
View attachment 74356
Brett
Your jacket looks awesome on you . My problem with Platons jackets is that they are a little short for me in the back length as his maximum length for a size 46 , is 25 inches . Even when he made size 48, the back length was still 25. I know that length has always been a problem for you, so how does that 25 inch back length work for you ?

Brettafett

Well Burt, this jacket is special.
Its a 42 with a back length of 25 (was 25.5" or 26" when I first received it), sleeves are longer also.
Way back at the start, I convinced him to make me a 'long' (adding a bit of length), he did, but he can't/wont do it again. God knows I've tried....
Reason I dont have a russet.
This jacket might very well be the only 'long' JaDubow in the world ;)

Last edited:

Beaker_UK

Sorry, I was referring to the gentleman who just received one. Trying to get a feel for how long mine will take.

I believe Sabo ordered his in August 2021, so call it 5-6 months, take off the fact that Greece like everywhere in the Med takes 4-6 weeks off for Summer and 3 weeks over the Christmas period then call it 3-4 months as a ball park? I'm actually using you as a yard stick as you ordered about 6 weeks before I did.

Brettafett

I would not worry about it. Once you place the order and pay your money, you will receive the jacket. Everyone here has.
Communication might be 'scant', and may take a few months, but you'll get it.
Just double check measurements and sizing here.

Pa12

I’m pretty sure about the size. I have one in 44 and it’s almost wearable so I think the 46 should be good. Always ended up with 46 on Eastmans too. I’m in Canada so it’s too cold right now anyways. Spring and fall is about the only time I can wear one. It’s either parka or tshirt here. -10 to -25 in the winter and 30 plus in the summer.

Sabo

I believe Sabo ordered his in August 2021, so call it 5-6 months, take off the fact that Greece like everywhere in the Med takes 4-6 weeks off for Summer and 3 weeks over the Christmas period then call it 3-4 months as a ball park? I'm actually using you as a yard stick as you ordered about 6 weeks before I did.
that's right, ordered August 15th, shipped January 20th, arrived today.

Flightengineer

I promised to make a small comparison of my two seal Dubows in size 42 made by Platon. Yesterday, like a little boy, I studied both jackets along with a ruler and a measuring tape. It was very funny. Well, I became a bit Dubow-man in A2 :) , cause I really like this contract, it fits my physique perfectly.

Perhaps I will repeat myself, but I think let it be in this thread.

Unfortunately, I don't yet have the opportunity to take a photos in bright sunlight to show the different leather character. When the light and time allow, I'll definitely do it.

Both jacket are nice but made from bit different leathers. New one has a hide very closer ( or just almost identical) to Eastman's Warhorse hide, has the same amazing character, similar incredible grain and texture, and also more lightweight then another one.

My first jacket got year ago from Greg weighs 1.345 kg (it is made from a more "smooth" hide and obviously from a different batch) - the second one weighs much less - 1.130 kg only. The 215g difference is very noticeable and I really like this light weight, it makes it as close as possible to the WW2 originals as far as I can tell and drapes exactly like the originals in numerous photos. It will be my favorit for summer for sure.

Both jackets are almost identical in measurements, however new one jacket has 44.4 cm shoulders vs 45.6 cm on my first one. The sleeve lenght the same both 63 cm, Also one jacket is longer by 1,5 cm in length at the back and 1 cm at front.
Second jacket has pockets closer to the zipper by 1 cm vs first one.
BTW, I noticed that most of Platon's jackets usually bit differ from his website size chart and in reality has slightly shorter body and slightly shorter sleeves - judging by my two jackets and many ads for sale in other sizes that I've seen.

Another small difference - on the new one used less convex (to the touch) tops of buttons in the collar (they look like pocket ones).

Both jackets are top notch and definitely top league jackets.

However, as in WW2 years are made by a person, not by a machine, and therefore have small deviations and some nuances.

No two jackets are 100% identical even made by one person in one size according to one template, and this is worth keeping in mind for those who read all these reviews and then order jackets.

Last edited:

Pa12

I’m afraid I’m not too eBay savvy. Actually didn’t do that well because I didn’t realize how much their cut was. 15 percent of total including shipping. Sold it for 400 us plus 70 shipping. They took the 70 and I still had to ship it. Only took home 350 bucks. About 450 Canadian. Not great considering my new one will be at least 1000 Canadian by the time I get it.