Ja Dubow 27798 (Platon) A-2 jacket review and pics

Greg Gale

@ausreenactor I tried a size 42 Star a few years ago, it felt like I was a kid wearing his dad's clothes :D

Also, I don't feel comfortable wearing ranks, that's why I replaced the rank pin with the "US" pin.

ausreenactor

Have at it! Nobody is going to hold it against you.

As long as you're not popping a Silver Star on a current dress uniform, it's widely accepted for period gear.

Flightengineer

Great pics. Nice Dubow.
I would keep both jackets.
My Star is also 40 but it suits me a little better than yours, probably because you a few centimeters taller. Perhaps because we are all different :)
You can easily sell your nice Star, but...not really hurry with this, Greg. Another one will be difficult to buy today and too expensive. And Warhorse leather is amazing ;)

Greg Gale

Warhorse is amazing, but no use if the jacket doesn't fit anymore ;)

Dubow owners, how has your jacket's hide change with time? Did it develop character? Grant's jacket certainly has some judging by the picture.

Brettafett

Here are some pics of mine Greg, and also compared to my BK Dubow.

I have worn it quite a bit, but I do cycle between my jackets, so its not got as much wear as it could've had otherwise.
Must say, the BK has a bit more grain, is a very slightly lighter hue and feels slightly lighter to hand. Both have great character and variations of grain and colour across panels. Lovely!
The Platon Dubow has some high spots developing, which is subtle.
It still feels a touch heavier than the BK, and the leather is a smidgen less pliable. Both jacket's knits are holding strong and tight.
Please ignore colour, my phone is not a great photographer.

Platon's left, BK right. There certainly is grain! And look at that grain variation on the BK on the right.
IMG_20200408_160657140_HDR.jpg

BK left, Platon's right.
Heres that grain variation on Platon's Dubow, with some variation in Hue and some slight rubbing.
IMG_20200408_160629309_HDR.jpg

BK left, Platon's right.
IMG_20200408_160602411_HDR.jpg

Platon left,BK right.
Again, that brown knit on the BK is not as light as that in person, weird effect of my camera.

IMG_20200408_160533396_HDR.jpg

Lorenzol

Dubow owners, how has your jacket's hide change with time? Did it develop character? Grant's jacket certainly has some judging by the picture.
Greg, like you, I own an ELC (RW 27752) in seal brown and a Dubow Mfg in russet, both size 40. The ELC's warhorse is nice, soft and pliable - after little wear it relaxed and and it is a joy to wear now. The RW fits me quite well, though it is a trimmer pattern than the Dubow. The Dubow's horsehide is stiff in comparison (although the jacket is quite new) and while it has developed some nice grain already, I can see that it will take quite some time to break in, far longer than it took the ELC to relax. Regarding workmanship, the Dubow is right up there with the ELC, but at this early stage, I prefer the Warhorse. The knitted cuffs and waistband on the Dubow are far better than the ELC's.

Last edited:

Micawber

Well mine certainly did, helped along the way by a lot of hard wear and a re-dye as per my earlier posts.

Cogerrunt

I like that you always wear your jackets long. Short body long legs..I'm the opposite so jackets always ride up.

Members online

Latest posts