• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ja Dubow 27798 (Platon) A-2 jacket review and pics

mulceber

I was checking with them for an expected ship date.
Ordered 16 Nov

So by the answers received here it looks like I will just need to wait which I'm okay with.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Honestly, if you want a good estimate of how long it will take, the best thing you can do is check the last couple pages of this thread and see how long it took the most recent customers to receive their jackets. That's probably as good as any estimate you're going to get from the maker.

Last edited:

Saint-ex

For your information. And my sadness.

Southoftheborder

Can any owners post the real measurements of the 44 and 46 sizes taken from the actual jackets please? Several people have asked up the thread but only the website measurements were posted. Apart from one size 40 which was measured and seemed to be quite a bit smaller than the website specs. Several people say their jackets were smaller than expected so it seems the website measurement need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Juanito

Here are the measurements of my size 44 Platon Dubow:

Chest front: 23.5"
Shoulders: 18.0" (This seems narrow to me for a size 44 jacket)
Back from base of collar to waistband: 20.5"
Front, entire windflap: 22.5"
Sleeve from epaulet to cuff: 22.5"

Yes, the jacket is on the small side, but in line with wartime sizes. It fits nearly the same as my size 44 originals, although they are of different contracts (Perry, Roughwear).

Last edited:

Micawber

Here are the measurements of my size 44 Platon Dubow:

Chest front: 23.5"
Shoulders: 18.0" (This seems narrow to me for a size 44 jacket)
Back from base of collar to waistband: 20.5"
Front, entire windflap: 22.5"

Yes, the jacket is on the small side, but in line with wartime sizes. It fits nearly the same as my size 44 originals, although they are of different contracts (Perry, Roughwear).

Sounds about the same as the 44" I bought and passed to my son [I believe I posted measurements out of the box somewhere in the mammoth tand long running thread on these jackets]. I am probably going to order another one soon but will be sizing up.

Technonut2112

Size 46:

Pit-Pit: 23.5"
Shoulders: 18.5"
Back Length: 25" (all the way to end of knit waistband)
Sleeves: 25.5" (all the way to end of knit cuff)

These measurements turned out damn-near bespoke for me in this Dubow pattern, and I am a size 44. I had the 44 ordered originally, but switched to the 46 after some consideration, and I'm VERY glad I did. I always try to go for a 23.5" pit-pit instead of many other makers standard of 24" in a 44 when I can, and this one hit that mark.

Southoftheborder

Thanks for that gents. It seems they come up a fair bit smaller than I thought - and I thought they would be smaller. That 46 measures smaller than a GW 46 I have and they are WWII sizes. I think I could get away with one of these in a 46 as a summer windcheater but anyone wanting a real 46 to wear anything much under would be disappointed.

Technonut2112

The Dubow 46 is just about the same measurements as my GW RW 27752 in a 46, which fits me well since I have a 44" chest. JC did directly pattern mine after a size 44 original, and did a side by side comparison of them, but labelled it a 46 (I guess the original was large for a tagged 44).

I'm just lucky that I can fit a C-2 sweater comfortably under both of them, and definitely have no plans of letting either jacket go.. ;)

B-Man2

Sounds about the same as the 44" I bought and passed to my son [I believe I posted measurements out of the box somewhere in the mammoth tand long running thread on these jackets]. I am probably going to order another one soon but will be sizing up.
Steve
I don’t know if you saw the post but Platon is no longer making anything larger than a size 46. He’s discontinued size 48. I know a size 46 won’t do it for me so you may want to check those 46 measurements again.
Cheers

Southoftheborder

Well, I was thinking of ordering one but these sizes seem a bit all over the place. The 44 appears to be 23.5" P2P and similar in other dimensions as the specs on the website with two members. But Technonut has a 46 which measures the same as the other two 44s. Meanwhile one member has a 44 which he measures as the same size as a 42 is supposed to be.

I wonder if Platon is going off the measurements the customers give and sizing down one size while labelling it differently? He seems to regularly tell people to buy smaller than they think is right for them.

I have had so many problems with makers using the measurements I give them and getting it wrong that I refuse to give them at all now. I ask what the actual sizes of the jackets are and judge for myself what is going to fit. Some of them don't like it as they are convinced they know how to size a jacket for a set of measurements perfectly. But actually unless they measure you up themselves and see your actual body shape like a tailor does they get it wrong more often than not.

Technonut2112

Platon's 'Sizing Guide' on his site is well done IMO, and uses the same shoulder circumference method as John Chapman if I'm not mistaken. Out of all the jackets ordered and posted about here, I don't recall any being ill-fitting, or folks wishing it could be returned. As long as one's measurements are taken exactly as shown below, and falls within the sizes provided, I wouldn't be put-off from making an order for a jacket of this quality / accuracy at the insanely low price....

Screenshot_2019-12-28 J A DUBOW MFG CO  (2).png

Chest Measurement:
With a measuring tape measure the circumference of your chest at the fullest part of your chest. When taking this measurement you should be standing up and wearing not more than a t-shirt. When measuring the tape should be snug but not tight.

Waist Measurement:
Measure around your natural waist at the navel level.

Shoulders Circumference Measurement:
With the arms relaxed and down at the side, measure around the shoulders just above the biceps (just between the bicep and shoulder muscles). Don’t take this measurement yourself, ask somebody else to help you so that you have both your arms down at the sides.

After you have taken the 3 above measurements, read the following guidance on how to use them.

A. Chest

The main rule is that you should buy the same size as the number shown in the measuring tape when measuring your chest. For example, if you measure your chest and found it to be 36 inches then you should buy size 36. If it shows 37, (or other odd number) then you should buy the next available size, in this case, size 38. However, we do not advise you to buy on the basis of your chest size only, not without checking the other two measurements below.

B. Waist
The TYPE A-2 jacket was designed for men of athletic body type. That assumes a drop of 6 inches. For example, if your chest is 40 inches and your waist is 34 inches (40-6 = 34) then size 40 jacket will give you a regular fit. However, If your chest is 40 inches and your waist is for example 36 or 37 inches then you should consider getting a size 42.

C. Shoulders Circumference
The third important parameter is the shoulders circumference measurement. In the previous example, if your chest is 40 inches, your waist is 34 inches but your shoulder measurement is 48 or 49 inches then you should better get a size 42 jacket.

The table below shows the relation of the 3 measurements for regular body types. You can use it to check what size to select.

Screenshot_2019-12-28 J A DUBOW MFG CO (2).png

To further assist you, we provide below standard men measurements from current anthropometric studies.
Men’s Measurement Table

Screenshot_2019-12-28 J A DUBOW MFG CO (3).png

This table shows the relation of men’s chest to their shoulders measurement.

Please do not try to take your shoulder to shoulder measurement. Most likely you will fail to do it properly, as the correct way to measure it is surprisingly very little known (every tailor will show you a different way to measure it), so we better leave that to the anthropologists and scientists.

That is the reason we discuss the “Shoulders Circumference” measurement above which is a lot easier to take and the probability of error is much smaller. So, for example, if you have a regular body type, your chest measures 44 inches and your Shoulders Circumference measurement is 50-51 inches then you can safely assume that your actual Cross Back (Shoulder to Shoulder) measurement is somewhere between 17 ½ and 18 inches. Consequently, the 18 ½ inches shoulders span measurement that our size 44 jacket provides should fit you fine.

Southoftheborder

Thanks Techno, I saw that on his website. But the problem is that if I ordered I would want to buy on the stated size. In fact his measurements for the 44 would be fine for me for a spring, autumn, cool summer day jacket. Apart from a slightly too narrow shoulder which would still be okay as long as it wasn't any less - though most do seem to be narrower than his specs there.

But the point is would it be made in those measurements? Judging by some of the variations seen here I'm not so sure; and a few have said they wished the jackets they received were bigger. But all the measurements listed here in several sizes are quite a lot different from those on his website including yours.

Either he's adapting to each customer or his cutting is way off.... I'll email him and ask if he can make me one in a 44 to his own specified measurements.