• Hey guys, I had to upgrade the VLJ software because the old one is being phased out. Please let me know of any issues in the SITE UPDATE THREAD. Thanks!

Ja Dubow 27798 (Platon) A-2 jacket review and pics

mulceber

Thanks for the correction - I didn't see it on John's site, so I assumed he didn't make it. I'd love to see more pictures of this jacket in a thread not devoted to Platon’s company, if you wouldn't mind posting.

Last edited:

Technonut2112

Technonut2112

It would just be dependent upon whatever original the repro maker had to work from. Curiously, I'm fairly certain that BK makes their 27798's like this also... Perhaps the deconstructed original that Platon shows pics of was obtained from them, which would make sense given his past affiliation with BK...

Pilot

If talking about details and accuracy, please also note the pointed collar tips on the original Dubow 27798 and Goodwear 27798 and compare to the others.

Last edited:

Technonut2112

My bad, sorry, thought we are discussing the Dubow 27798, with the pointed collar tips.
I am... Here's the collar comparison pic:

IMG_20190422_011040.jpg

More here:

EDIT: Buried earlier in this thread, here's the the disassembled jacket which Platon used to pattern from. Just like the originals of this quite large contract, there will of course be some slight variations between jackets when made:

a.jpg

Last edited:

2BM2K

The Dubow 1755 is basically the same pattern as the 27798 and is just as well known for it's pointy collars, but there is variation in the shape.

Reproduction Dubows do look good with pointed collar tios.

Brettafett

Originals, even of the same contract often have variations. WW2 production was not as tempered or exacting as the top repro makers today are. Your high-end repro would often be more perfect and well-built than a WW2 jacket.
Ive seen an original Dubow 1755 with a weird offset collar and a few originals with pocket flaps apearing different on either side... Regs repros - My first GW No Name circa 2008 had a loopy collar, it was falling off to one side. This could have been a 'mistake' or could have been John making it exactly like an original he was copying. Also had an Aero Bronco circa 2005 that had the collar dropping off to one side, quite noticeably. Guess its all relative.

saucerfiend

Well, I didn't hijack the thread about pocket spacing. However,it certainly is very clear from the disassembled Dubow that the spacing is on mark. Please understandmy comment was not meant to belittle changling's purchase, as it is as beautiful a jacket that anyone
could expect. Anyone would be proud to own it.

Brian