• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ja Dubow 27798 (Platon) A-2 jacket review and pics

Grant

Well done, Ken. Looks good. How to get rid of the crease down the back? Wear it constantly, go for long bike rides in it wearing a backpack, fall asleep on long flights in it, get caught in a shower and hang it to dry. Before you know it, it'll be long gone, replaced by folds and creases created by you. The vertical back crease on my russet Platon Dubow lasted but a couple months.

Changeling

Thanks Grant, yes I guess just wearing it as much as possible is the answer, they are great looking jackets as you know.

Technonut2112

I posted the measurements that Platon supplied to others and myself a few times here and there on the forum. Looks like a VERY good fit to me. I still have not found another detailed A-2 repro of top-shelf materials and construction out there that can touch Platon's Dubow for the price. I wouldn't sweat the neck-clasp... I can't recall ever wanting to use it on any of the A-2's I've collected / worn over the past 30 + years. As I posted before, if necessary, I would sell on my GW RW 27752 before I would let Platon's Dubow go.. That's how much I like it.

Wear the piss out of it in good health!

Changeling

Thanks Technonut, yes no need to even have the zip all the way up, more comfortable three quarters up and as you say the throat hook is not really needed.I agree these jackets are amazing for the price, definitely a keeper.

B-Man2

You can’t beat that jacket for the price ... oh ...wait..., somebody already said that :oops:....
You have a great jacket and it looks good on you . Wear the hell out of it and wear it in rain and just enjoy it..... oh. ... wait ... somebody already said that too!
I guess there nothing left to say but....
congrats !!:)

Last edited:

Changeling

Thanks, yes I guess everything good that could be said about these jackets has been said but then when you have one it`s good to hear it again and again and again, makes you feel happy.

Micawber

This morning I received my size 48 Platon J A Dubow which took two days shy of five months to arrive. As you can see it is the russet I chose and I am pretty happy with the jacket. Measuring is not my strong point but from the measurements some one posted some time ago on the forum I would say by my reckoning the jacket measures less in every direction than those measurements. I am 6 ft 2 , broad shouldered and weigh around 13.5 stone. When fully zipped up the collar is snug tight around my neck and it is completely impossible to fasten the throat hook. The jacket feels supple and arm movement is good even when fully zipped. The leather has great grain across the whole jacket but is particularly strong on the back although there are a couple of very smooth patches on the back amongst the strong grain.The jacket is neatly stitched with very good quality wool knits and the leather smells good to. There is a crease right down the middle of the back from folding to send I am guessing, any way to make this lessen in appearance? Here are the size 48 measurements posted here before, although as I say mine measures smaller. KenView attachment 24211View attachment 24212View attachment 24213View attachment 24214View attachment 24215View attachment 24216
Size 48
pit to pit 25.5
shoulders 19.5
back 25.25
sleeve 26.25

BTW You seem to have a rabbit problem lol!! ;)

Technonut2112

Now that I've seen yet another killer russet Platon Dubow, I'm getting the itch to order one again to complement my seal.. Seems that every time I get the scratch together, something else comes up. Recently, I was seduced by a quite nice B-10 repro (Copy of the seldom seen 'The Paul Reed Co.' contract) made by The Few for the 2012 Red Tails movie. The jackets ultimately were rejected by the production for being "too short" for the actors, but in a true labeled size 44. I took the chance, and the jacket fits as well or better than the couple of Buzz's and Bronson I have in 44, and not short for me at all... (I've moved the Eastman RW B-10 I had in my collection along since I just couldn't get on with the inaccurate single-faced alpaca lining they use instead of double-faced)

Anyhow.... My gears are turning again to scare-up the $$ needed after seeing how great Changeling's russet Dubow looks....

Bombing IP

You could of gone with a 46'' its way off your shoulder and to wide in the body if you were looking for the WW2 look .Still is a very nice jacket and looks good on you .

Jeff

Kennyz

Looks fantastic - this jacket is a winner for you! Wear the heck out of it, Changeling!

Ken

This morning I received my size 48 Platon J A Dubow which took two days shy of five months to arrive. As you can see it is the russet I chose and I am pretty happy with the jacket. Measuring is not my strong point but from the measurements some one posted some time ago on the forum I would say by my reckoning the jacket measures less in every direction than those measurements. I am 6 ft 2 , broad shouldered and weigh around 13.5 stone. When fully zipped up the collar is snug tight around my neck and it is completely impossible to fasten the throat hook. The jacket feels supple and arm movement is good even when fully zipped. The leather has great grain across the whole jacket but is particularly strong on the back although there are a couple of very smooth patches on the back amongst the strong grain.The jacket is neatly stitched with very good quality wool knits and the leather smells good to. There is a crease right down the middle of the back from folding to send I am guessing, any way to make this lessen in appearance? Here are the size 48 measurements posted here before, although as I say mine measures smaller. KenView attachment 24211View attachment 24212View attachment 24213View attachment 24214View attachment 24215View attachment 24216
Size 48
pit to pit 25.5
shoulders 19.5
back 25.25
sleeve 26.25

Brettafett

I think it looks spot on. Let it wear in and mould, and it will look fantastic. The pattern and fit is true to form imo.
Compare with what many call the holy grail of repro A-2s...
comparison_dubow.jpg