• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Its time to break out the G1s

JOHNO

California Sportswear 7823 series, I recently bought from blaze424.

032-1.jpg

033-2.jpg

034-2.jpg

035-2.jpg

And my old 72E series Star Sportswear,

036-2.jpg

037-2.jpg

038-2.jpg

Anyone else? :D

JOHNO

I've been wearing the Star Sportswear G1 lately but I'll switch over to the Cali as the weather cools more, I have more room for layers with it.

johnwayne

Hmm...know which one I think is best! The Cal Sports wear is not unlike my '57 Cagleco (that'll be coming out any day now) - the nice colour to the collar I think, makes the jacket - the faux collars just dont do it for me. Nice sheen and patina to the leather too on yours -enjoy!!

Cheers
Wayne

jonnyboy

Nice jackets!

I've been wearing my 1957 Cagleco a fair amount recently too. It's a jacket that I'd never sell!

frontsml.jpg

Cheers,

Jon

Marv

jonnyboy said:
Nice jackets!

I've been wearing my 1957 Cagleco a fair amount recently too. It's a jacket that I'd never sell!

frontsml.jpg

Cheers,

Jon

Now that's a fantastic looking G1, I can see why you would never sell her.........

jonnyboy

Thanks Paul,

It was covered in dirt and stank when I bought it a few years ago (off ebay from someone in Thailand). Looked like it had been kept in a damp cellar. A wash in the bath and some Pecards leather dressing sorted it out though! It's my favourite G-1 that I've owned.

Cheers,

Jon

Marv

jonnyboy said:
Thanks Paul,

It was covered in dirt and stank when I bought it a few years ago (off ebay from someone in Thailand). Looked like it had been kept in a damp cellar. A wash in the bath and some Pecards leather dressing sorted it out though! It's my favourite G-1 that I've owned.

Cheers,

Jon

hey Jon,

I have a similar project waiting to go with a 1968 Martin Lane Co G1, it's in pretty good nick and the mouton has faded to a lovely golden shade.
the goatskin is in good condition but like yours it going to need a bath to get the remains of whatever was used on the leather previously off then I can treat it with some pecards etc.

the knits are in reasonable condition however I suspect that they have been replaced at some point as the cuffs don't match the waist band in colour so may have that done at a later stage.

It's a size 46" but fits more like a 44" and seems a little short in the body (arm length is fine) compared to my ELC G1 so not sure whether the jacket was manufactured as a Short or whether this is just a feature of the specific contract.

but anyway, once I get around to starting on the clean up process I will post up some pics for you chaps to see etc.......

JOHNO

johnwayne said:
Hmm...know which one I think is best! The Cal Sports wear is not unlike my '57 Cagleco (that'll be coming out any day now) - the nice colour to the collar I think, makes the jacket - the faux collars just dont do it for me. Nice sheen and patina to the leather too on yours -enjoy!!

Cheers
Wayne

Surprisingly, other than the collar and fuller cut of the Cal the quality of the Star is comparable. Even the thickness of the goat is the same.

JOHNO

I just noticed some interesting markings on the inside pocket of the Cal Sportswear G1, what do you guys make of it?

008-23.jpg

009-20.jpg

010-14.jpg

011-12.jpg

fleet16b

Well considering today it is 6 deg c here in Canada, I have had the G1 out ever since I bought it a week ago.
Love it ! , a very good jacket for fall weather :D
By the end of Nov , the Irvins will be out however there has been the odd day I could have worn one already. :shock:

ScottoLaw

Great pics of some really nice G-1s! Here is my first original G-1 maker purchase. A Ralph Edwards "C" series. Overall I think it is a nice example with thick leather and mouton. Does anyone know how/why the mouton color changed over the contract years? Just curious if it was a fashion thing or tactical thing, or cost thing lol. Thanks and hope you like the pics.

Scott

019-2.jpg

017-3.jpg

013-5.jpg

008-6.jpg

009-6.jpg

024-3.jpg

018-3.jpg

RCSignals

I suspect most of the reason for different colours of mouton is from natural fading, dye reaction to light, etc. they may have all started as similar shades of dark brown.

Roughwear

My 1957 Cagleco G-1 (Size 44) has been getting quite a few outings recently. It's a really comfortable jacket and is just right for the colder Autumn days.

020-5.jpg

Marv

Here's a phtoto of my 1968 Martin Lane Co. G1........not the best pic in the world.

G1.jpg