• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

@!!%&!! IT'S SUEDE!!! &@!!%!!

zoomer

Just got my US-Authentic AN-J-4 from eBay. Lovely condition. Fits perfectly. Only one thing...
IT'S SUEDE!!! :shock: :eek: :( :x
All the requisite goatskin pockets, sleeve chaps, etc etc...on very finely SUEDED sheepskin.

It's enough to turn this handsome 40s flier's garment into something more appropriate behind the wheel of a '79 Eldorado.
73434.jpg

Here's the tricky part...
- The seller didn't mention suede in the listing.
- The photos he provided were kind of "meh" quality.
- They show a low luster to the sheepskin that could easily be the standard, chromed finish. (Here's another example: my US-A M-444.)

What say you, fellow jacketeers? Is this not quite truth in advertising? Or am I stuck with the thing?

watchmanjimg

Sorry to hear it didn't work out. I guess opinions may differ, but I'd be a lot more comfortable driving a '79 Eldorado in that condition than I would wearing a suede ANJ-4. :lol: :lol: :lol:

zoomer

Seller is stating "no returns." :evil:

He's apparently a horsey type and treated the thing with tanners' oil, a fish oil used to soften heavy tack when it dries out. What that would do to the semigloss finished shearling, I don't know - could it suede the finish?

He could always be crafty and say it came to him this way, or that he didn't know he shouldn't oil it.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
zoomer said:
.... I don't know - could it suede the finish?

No, it was already suede, and he ruined it with the oil ... he knows this, and that's why he sold it. I agree with John, send it back NOW.

Another problem with the fish oil is that cats might follow you ... but then you're zoomer. :p

CBI

return it. even if the seller says "no returns" you are protected by PayPal. If the guy won't take it back, you will have to go through a claim process. I think some folks on this site have not had good luck with eBay/PayPal claims but I have - always. Hopefully, you won't need to go that far and the seller will honor your request. Good luck!

zoomer

I actually may keep it.

1. I got it for a great price (a new one is like $795).
2. It's warm and it fits just right.
3. It's not actually suede - it still has grain, has not been shaved or sanded.
4. It's actually quite handsome once you get past the antiqued look of the sheep.
5. The seller was either dumb, in which case I can't blame him, or dumb-smart, in which case it's not worth messing with him considering points 1-4.
6. The dude is now on deployment. No one needs the hassle in that situation.
7. I could easily turn it around next winter.

deand

zoomer said:
3. It's not actually suede - it still has grain, has not been shaved or sanded.

Imagine our surprise! Glad to hear it isn't. I had a cheapo A-2 that ended up in the UK with Edward that was like suede, but really wasn't, more like it had been sanded or simply unfinished, but clearly not suede, in spite of having a strong similarity to it! I admire your willingness to be reconciled to it as it is, and your sensitivity to the sellers personal circumstances. Good for you!

dean

MikeyB-17

I think it looks pretty good from the pics-is it possible that it's just sheepskin with a matte finish rather than suede? The boys in the USMC used to dubbin their rough-out boots until they could be polished-although I don't think I'd attempt that with a jacket!

zoomer

My experience is that almost nothing that works on shoes is advisable for jackets. The leather garment trade has always been very protective of its specialty - repair, cleaning, refinishing included - as some of our VLJers who have gone into jacket making will tell you.

Some have had good luck with acrylic paints on sheepskin, but I imagine the existing semigloss finish was intact or else there'd be no base to take the paint. You also have to use an airbrush, which is not something you can learn over a weekend.

dmar836

I'd give the dye thing a try. An airbrush is not difficult to learn if you have ever mastered the spray can or learned the principles of spraying(proper overlaps, etc.). You could likely roll it on with a sponge roller too - if it flows out at all. You could burnish it down between coats.
Just an opinion..... if you think it's hopeless as-is.

Dave

airfrogusmc

Hey zoom, play that funky music white boy. I say wear it with the platform shoes and the real wide lapel silk shirt.

My recently purchased USA M445 doesn't look like that. Is it really that bad?

Doug C

I have to admit, I doubted it was suede to begin with... not sure why but just did. The message seems to completely discredit sheepskin as having any merit whatsoever too. As with most things there are several varieties. I guess the right suede could even be prefered over say.. HH or whatever depending on the context, which wouldn't necessarily be funky '70s junk. Sorry if my perceptions are off. Either way a picture of this jacket is a must, I was hoping you'd post one after your first statements about it. Can you please post a good one of it ?