• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It’s time to play stump the VLJ Forum!

B-Man2

Fun time !!
I think I know what maker this is or at least I have about 3 possible ideas, so let’s see what you guys think....:)

B-Man2

Ok .... Looks like we’ve had about all the input we are going to get here, so here’s my guess for what it’s worth.
First off I cheated :rolleyes: I used Gary Eastmans A2 Manual.... ( OK .. nobody’s perfect) . Now the first thing was the zip. I found four contracts that used a Talon M-39 No5 zip.
They were the Aero 16160 , the Rough Wear 16159, the Rough Wear 18091 and the Fred Ostermann 23383 contracts . Then I looked at the square pocket corners and immediately eliminated the Rough Wear contracts because pockets on Rough Wears were a much different cut and Aeros and FO had square cut pockets . Ok now I’m down to 2 contracts so I chose the Aero 16160 as the eBay jacket based on the following . The epaulets on the Aero jacket seem to be one width from the shoulder point to the neck point which is an Aero Epaulet . The FO epaulets are cut exactly the opposite of a United Sheeplined Epaulet in that the United is wider at the shoulder and tapered to the collar of the jacket . The FO epaulet is the exact reverse wide at the collar and tapered down to the shoulder . This does not match the eBay jacket which has the same width Aero style epaulet from beginning to end . Then I looked back at the zip . The eBay jacket has a nickel plated Talon m-39 zip puller exactly like the one on the Aero 16160 . The FO jacket has a Talon M-39 zip however , the puller is brown coated not nickel and does not match the eBay jacket . Lastly the pockets on the eBay jacket are very squarely cut particularly on the corners like the aero 16160 where the pockets on the FO are a bit longer and has very slight rounded corner. So for those reasons I’m guessing an Aero 16160.
Please jump in here if you guys think it’s a bad guess, as this is the way I learn from you guys and this forum.
Cheers

Edit:
Jan just pointed out that the extra wide storm flap at the bottom of the jacket is a strong indication that the eBay jacket is a Fred Ostermann 23383 A2 . And I have to agree with him . So much for that analysis!:D:D

Last edited:

Brettafett

Yes, followed what you said, however, what gave it away for me is the leather hang tab. Look at the vertical stitching on the sides, that's FO.
Best pics I could find are from GW.
label.jpg

Aero's is box stitched.
label-2.jpg

Silver Surfer

some 10 years ago, or so, I owned a fo in stone mint condition, size 42, that was more like a generous size 44. like a fool,, I sold it to a buddy in Japan for small coin. duh. I do remember that it was made with a quirky construction....not unlike the fo navy m series jacket. considering the rarity of the eb fo, the price is not outta line.

mulceber

To continue with this game (okay, it’s been a while, but suitable jackets don’t come up on eBay every day), here’s another one. Anyone want to take a crack at it identifying it?

B-Man2

I’ll take a guess that it’s an Aero 16160.
I could be wrong and most of the times I am, but here’s why it think it might be .
Square pockets
Same pocket flaps as the 16160
Large ring snaps
Same color knits
Epaulettes no taper and in front of shoulder seams
Throat hook same on both jackets
Zip looks to be an M-39 Talon
If this turns out to be that jacket , it would be a rare bird for sure .
Grant and Silver surfer are much better at this than I am, so hopefully they’ll put a maker and contract to it.

Last edited: