• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It’s time to play stump the VLJ Forum!

Flightengineer

One day Alex, who is a member from Russia too here , sent me a photo of A2 which he was planning to buy. It looked like the original, which had replaced the zipper with a metal zipper from a Soviet flight jacket. Probably this thing has an unusual history, because such a zipper could only be owned by a person related to aviation and this jacket has probably been among the pilots for a long time. I remember that immediately after I saw these photos, the seller refused to sell it to Alex and took it off the market, as far as I know. I still keep these photos and if you are interested I can publish them here, maybe this is not the original (although it looks very much like that) and you guys can play mystery box again.

mulceber

Here’s a new one. I’m going to guess that the knits are (early) replacements, and the jacket is a Dubow 1755. Other opinions?

Lorenzo_l

That looks a lot like an M-41 Crown zipper on that jacket. As per Gary's book, Crowns were not used on the Dubow 1755 contract (I am aware that Gary's book is not always right on the subject of zippers). So, mostly based on this (and the lack of a collar stand) I'd say it is a 27798.

Last edited:

mulceber

Another anonymous A-2 that just showed up on eBay. No label, and a replacement zipper. Anyone want to ID it? I've got a guess, but I'm not totally certain.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1601.jpg

s-l1603.jpg

s-l1607.jpg

s-l1611.jpg

s-l1609.jpg

Last edited:

B-Man2

It’s got a pretty wide collar … similar to a Rough Wear …. all you really have to work with is the collar , the pocket flaps and the epaulettes seated in front of the shoulder seam so my GUESS is a Rough Wear.
Here’s why …. Large wide collar
Pocket flaps look like a RW, and the epaulet sits in front of shoulder seam .
Also the pocket corners are cut like a RW pocket .
IMG_1411.jpeg
IMG_1412.jpeg

mulceber

It’s got a pretty wide collar … similar to a Rough Wear …. all you really have to work with is the collar , the pocket flaps and the epaulettes seated in front of the shoulder seam so my GUESS is a Rough Wear.
Here’s why …. Large wide collar
Pocket flaps look like a RW, and the epaulet sits in front of shoulder seam .
Also the pocket corners are cut like a RW pocket .View attachment 119847View attachment 119849
That’s my guess as well - specifically their first contract, since the pocket flaps are less rounded than the later contracts. Like others, the beveled pockets bug me, but I think they may just be weirdly rounded.

ZuZu

Another anonymous A-2 that just showed up on eBay. No label, and a replacement zipper. Anyone want to ID it? I've got a guess, but I'm not totally certain.
View attachment 119791
View attachment 119793
View attachment 119795
View attachment 119797
View attachment 119799
View attachment 119801
It's a Perry- probably a civilian version- possibly a late 40s/early 50s job. The stitching on the pocket bags and the sewing on the pocket flaps mark it as a Perry jacket. Possibly a 1756. More likely IMO a civilian version. It has a weird liner and if the zipper is original to the jacket it's not a WW2 one as far as I know.

mulceber

I was waiting for you to weigh in on this one, Jeff. I hadn’t considered that one! Doesn’t the collar look a bit big for a Perry though?

ZuZu

The 1756 Perry's had a pretty pointy collar (for a Perry) but if as I think it's some sort of weird after war hybrid then they could have changed the collar a bit. The sewing of the pocket bag and the sewing on the flap look pretty Perry-like,

1756:
s-l1600 - 2022-06-27T102810.903.jpg

1756 collar:
collar.jpg

Pocket bag sewing at the top of the bag:

open_pocketzz.jpg

The beveled pocket corners, weird liner and large hole zipper make me think it's not an issue jacket!