• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Issued or repro

Phrog Driver

Years ago I bought a G-1 on eBay. Think it was supposed to be from the 80's.
The manufacturer/size label is white, instead of the black ones I see on older jackets.
Where issued jackets ever made with white tags?
The jacket is really nice, wether it is an issued or repro, but I'd prefer a military one.
Looks legit to me Ualman. Every "E" series 7823s I have ever seen had a white label. Your label matches mine issued in 1977 and is also a Star Sportwear. The 7823 "D"s and "E"s are not considered collectable in some circles but they are good serviceable authentic jackets that can be had a very reasonable price and you owe it to yourself to enjoy it as such.

Ualman

Looks legit to me Ualman. Every "E" series 7823s I have ever seen had a white label. Your label matches mine issued in 1977 and is also a Star Sportwear. The 7823 "D"s and "E"s are not considered collectable in some circles but they are good serviceable authentic jackets that can be had a very reasonable price and you owe it to yourself to enjoy it as such.

Thank you so much for this info.
Got this one years ago. Fit me perfectly and, like you said, for a very reasonable price.
Have had an interest in the history of flight jackets, specially the older ones, for quite some time.
Very happy to have found this site, best place to gain knowledge from the best people.

Just wondering: what is it about the 7823 D/E that doesn’t make them collectible?
Can imagine the older ones, the more rare manufacturers, are more looked for.

Thank you all again for the info you have all provided.

Phrog Driver

Thank you so much for this info.
Got this one years ago. Fit me perfectly and, like you said, for a very reasonable price.
Have had an interest in the history of flight jackets, specially the older ones, for quite some time.
Very happy to have found this site, best place to gain knowledge from the best people.

Just wondering: what is it about the 7823 D/E that doesn’t make them collectible?
Can imagine the older ones, the more rare manufacturers, are more looked for.

Thank you all again for the info you have all provided.
From what I have read, I think the D was the first contract spec to allow a dynal collar (although some still had mouton), and I believe they also changed the construction of the knits, so they are suspect in the eyes of collectors. I also have a C spec Star I bought some years ago on the Bay, virtually unused and in my size (and it was a steal), and it is truly a better made piece of gear, seems to be a bit thicker goat, etc. than my issued E. So that is my only point of reference other than what others have written. Your jacket is a gorgeous example of the breed, the labeling makes me think its genuine not repro, and you have a very nice functional G1 for way less than a collectable price point. Enjoy it forever!

Ualman

From what I have read, I think the D was the first contract spec to allow a dynal collar (although some still had mouton), and I believe they also changed the construction of the knits, so they are suspect in the eyes of collectors. I also have a C spec Star I bought some years ago on the Bay, virtually unused and in my size (and it was a steal), and it is truly a better made piece of gear, seems to be a bit thicker goat, etc. than my issued E. So that is my only point of reference other than what others have written. Your jacket is a gorgeous example of the breed, the labeling makes me think its genuine not repro, and you have a very nice functional G1 for way less than a collectable price point. Enjoy it forever!

Hi Phrog Driver, thank you for the latest info.
Like yours it seems to be a solid piece of goat leather. It has the pebbled surface.
And like yours it had a great price. Perfect for a daily wear jacket.
Also have a 40’s jacket, that one I’m more careful of.
Bet your 2 jackets aren’t the only ones you have, lol.