• Hey guys, I had to upgrade the VLJ software because the old one is being phased out. Please let me know of any issues in the SITE UPDATE THREAD. Thanks!

Is this normal wear for a Irvin or can I do something?

Griffon_301

Guys...may sound like a silly question but I have an ELC 1940 pattern Irvin as part of my collection which is 2 years old and has seen some use in the last two winter seasons...I have noticed that the shearling is thinning out on the edge of the cuffs already and I am wondering if this is normal behaviour.
As I would like to use this jacket for a few more years I am wondering how it will look like though in 5 or more years though...other than that I am loving it...it's way better IMHO than a B-3 and it looks "sexier" (c) my significant other ...

Attachments

B-Man2

I’ve seen this on other ELC Irvin’s and if I’m not mistaken this was an issue discussed here a few years ago. You might do a search for this topic as I’m sure someone had one that they sent back to the company for just this reason .

Smithy

Just like the originals they can go bald on spots on the cuffs and waist and it's probably dependent on how much wear and also the sheepskin batch.

I have an ELC 1940 that I bought new in 2007 and it's got a few bald spots but then again I have worn it a hell of a lot.

Ken at Aero Leather

Shit happens
If it bothers you it's an easy fix to have a new foid back/cuff section grafted on the the larger sleeve
Many originals had a seam hidden under the fold back, same will/could happen to yours
ELC should be able to do this for you in an hour or so max

Griffon_301

thanks a lot for your answers guys...I just wanted to know if its only my jacket that looses some hair (as its owner does due to progressing age :D ) or if its a common trend...
a special thanks to Ken for that interesting nitbit about the cuffs, I might really ask the ELC guys when I visit their pop up...
its really not a big deal, my old ELC B-3 shows the same signs of age and I guess just as the other jackets show some wear and tear after some time, the shearling jackets just do the same, albeit a little bit differently...

MikeyB-17

Happens on all sheepskins at wear points. On Irvins it’s usually the cuffs. My B-3 has it on the inside where the adjustment straps for the waistband create a fold. The ELC Irvin I briefly owned had it too. Goes with the territory.