• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it possible to make knits more elastic (again)?

Rutger

Mash is 750 km south west from Fukushima.
This is the contamination map per march 2012, notice the 250 km radius.

Fukushima_radiation_dose_map_2012-03-15.png

Flightengineer

I’m looking forward to pics of the finished product. I’ve considered getting the cuffs replaced on my Eastman, but worried that the narrower sleeves of the Eastman jacket wouldn’t look right with anything but Eastman cuffs.

I think it's an optical illusion :) I don't see any problems with the sleeve width and cuffs from Larry. If you are interested, I'll post the result here.

Flightengineer

Thanks, guys. Yes, my seamstress knows a lot about her work and it costs me money for a reason :)
I always wanted the sleeve to be a little longer after my Star got the folds in sleeves after 2 years wearing. Eastman's cuffs was completely intact and undamaged over this years, but it was not very flexible and even at 2 inches it was kind of "retracted" inward partly - like an plane landing gear. Therefore, I decided to make 3 inches as advised in one of the Vic thread and after learning that in WW2 they had a length of not 2, but 2 3/4 and 3 as on Brett's Dubow.
Now I'll get used to the correct length and finally my watch will hide under the cuff :)

Maverickson

Hi All,

Haven't you all noticed those vintage jackets seen with their original cuffs came in different shapes for a given jacket maker?

FYI, more often than not those knits that are readily available have cuffs and or waist knits that are not configured quite like their original counterpart they were meant to replace. Yes, all knits are not made equal!

All of which I had remedied when I had my knit sets custom made. However for the most part only done for my particular builds.

In my mind Important enough when trying to maintain authenticity.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited: