• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is 1 Real McCoy really worth 4 Aero Leathers??

Showerfan

I stopped into the Clutch Cafe today to check out the Real McCoy Type B-7, although I knew it would be pricey. It’s not really my cup of tea, but I just wanted to see their take. Pretty cool, definitely interesting, not for me.

But then I saw their B-3, which looked fairly nice. I love B-3’s, as my grandfather was an 8th Air Force pilot out of Horsham, and bombed the sh*t out the Germans in WWII before they shot him down. Beyond the history, I love the products where form follows function so well, and Real McCoy makes a nice looking if not entirely accurate, repro.

Then they told me it was 3,200 pounds! What??? The Aero version costs €850 and looks like pretty solid quality to me. I don’t know that much about leathers, but is the sheep and horse hide that Real McCoy uses really four times better than Aero?

Or is the stitching stronger? Are the zippers better? Do they have some other kind of quality that I’m not seeing?

Honest query,
Thanks

Brettafett

Have a look at Bronson's B-6.... Just out of interest in comparison...

Showerfan

Well... I really want a B-3 and will likely go with Aero. But my question really is, why does Real McCoy price so high? Are they much better quality constructions?

The B-6 you list here is $900. But the Real McCoy version is 360,000 yen with tax, which is £2,500 or about $3,300.

The guys in the store said the leathers are just that much better than the competition — is that truly the case?

Brettafett

Short answer. No. Not by a hell of a long shot imho. But, then I am not a big B-3/6... person, more A-2s... I'm sure its because they are made in Japan and then brought into the UK. Thats why they are super pricey.
Theres a big difference between 'our leathers cost a lot more, and are therefore better...', than leathers that are actually more authentic in make-up, weight and process, to original WW2 jackets.
Their A-2s for example are ok, way over-engineered - the leather is too think, heavy, and does not reflect originals as well as other repro makers, like ELC, BK and GW for example...
I've been to the London shop and Clutch, and tried them on a few times... For fun. Sorry, not worth the money.
No offence to the guys, friendly and great service... but they don't know a hell of a lot about WW2 flight jackets either.

Skyhawk

I am not trying to put up a sales ad here but I have some perspective as a Repro jacket maker, so I will chime in.

No they are not that much "better"". Import costs are high but even that should not add up to that much. That is why I can sell genuine Capeskin jackets at less than 1/2 the cost of others . I feel my jackets at Headwind are top notch, and I do the exhaustive research to make things right.

Does anyone actually believe it costs $700 or $800 for them to male an A-2, and then they do a standard 2x mark up? No way.

A lot of these sky high prices are due to the fact that they have a well known name and have built a brand that is known for quality. Also they had high prices from day 1, so that is the marketing strategy they went with. Obviously it worked.

You only need look at a company that is not trying to fleece their customers to know what the costs actually are. Sure there are expenses with owning your own factory....yada...yada....but believe me, I have plenty of expenses as well that I have to factor in. Still I can keep prices relatively low while maintaining high quality, and uncompromising details and materials.

This is just my observation so take it or leave it.

-Jay

Last edited:

Pilot

yes, some of this pricing "what the market will bear" crap is just out of control................yet people DO pay it.
Fully agree with this one...The Real McCoy’s main sales territory is not here ( VLJ) nor in EU, nor in USA nor in countries where many are primarily looking for a “low cost” deal.
TRMcC’s and other prime makers are selling best in markets where the wearer is happy to spend and show to all he is doing so...not only with a jacket, but with all he wears and bears...The higher the price/costs the better....Luxury, prestige, glamour wins...always...
Here and mostly in Europe and US...the race to the bottom ...the cheapest, the highest discount , the lowest in price etc... wins...No more big spenders...
check around...daily’s life...ruins the economy...somehow.
At the end...the race towards the deep and bottom...by all meaning...not only jackets...
We all see and or experience the direct consequences...the race for the cheapest...to the bottom....no need to explain it any further...
To answer the original question...yes and no...yes ...for all the glamour and for all the jobs it creates in the makers country and all its associates...no ...for the “delta “ in quality of make.... ...but glamour wins...especially in winning markets and economies.

Last edited:

Showerfan

I only own one leather Real McCoy's Japan jacket which I've had for years. The two Aero leather jackets I bought were quickly sold on long ago. To compare Real McCoy's and Aero isn't even close. In my case, live and learn.

So you do think they’re that much better? What is it about the Real McCoy that is that much better than the Aero’s? Better sheepskin/leather? Higher quality stitching or shape? Nicer finish somehow?

gav

In answer to the question, They are to some and not to others.
if you are asking the question, then probably rmc is not worth 4 Aeros to you.
I definitely rate RMC way above Aero. Never owned one of their leather jackets but have tried on many (I have plenty of RMC items). I have owned an aero, which I never felt was quite there.

Showerfan

Thing is, I'd probably be willing to pay four times as much if it were at least twice as good. I just want to know what's better about it. the salesmen said it was just a much better hide. i imagine they offer more attention to engineering and detail?

I bought a 911 rather than a C7 corvette a few years ago, the Porsche cost more than the Chevy but I know the reasons why -- and I can articulate it quantitatively. no one has really been able to do that for me with the RMJ.

Brettafett

Better according to what criteria? Have any of those guys actually seen, let alone handled an original WW2 jacket? I doubt it. I may be wrong.
I recon they have been 'told' the leathers are the best in the world, not why or in what sense... Yes, they are well made, sure. But so are GWs, ELCs, BKs and all the high end makers.
Attention to detail? Sure. But again, what details are they focusing on?
They are four times the price because they are made in Japan and imported into the UK. The jackets are simply 'not' better because of it.
Seriously though, if you are UK-based and really do want a sheepskin flight jacket of top quality, look at Eastman's. More expensive than Aero, a lot cheaper than RMs and highly authentic.

Ken at Aero Leather

Real McCoys have a huge advertising budget, store overheads etc, which has to be factored into the cost of each garment
Aero spend nothing on advertising............other than the cost of staffers time spent updating instagram Maybe £20 a week? Yes that too has to be factored into the cost of each garment, must add nearly 25 pence to the price of every jacket

John Lever

Better according to what criteria? Have any of those guys actually seen, let alone handled an original WW2 jacket? I doubt it. I may be wrong.
I recon they have been 'told' the leathers are the best in the world, not why or in what sense... Yes, they are well made, sure. But so are GWs, ELCs, BKs and all the high end makers.
Attention to detail? Sure. But again, what details are they focusing on?
They are four times the price because they are made in Japan and imported into the UK. The jackets are simply 'not' better because of it.
Seriously though, if you are UK-based and really do want a sheepskin flight jacket of top quality, look at Eastman's. More expensive than Aero, a lot cheaper than RMs and highly authentic.
I think they probably have extensive collection of originals and do have technical knowledge. I have a large collection of sheepskins and can say that McCoys are the best in terms of material quality. They use only the best merino sheepskins skins that knock those used by others into a cocked hat, sorry.
Regarding other leathers, the Japanese have neen using Shinki and Badalassi for well over a decade, so they are well ahead of the game.
Are they worth it ? No. I doubt anyone can construct jackets better than Aero or Eastman.
I think it is a marketing strategy to be the most expensive, something BMW did years ago.

CBI

the prices for jackets continue to move into the out of control category. I'm just wondering, what other items..........anything..........come to one's mind where the reproduction/"exact copy" costs way more than an original the repro is trying emulate? Thinking non-jackets or heritage clothing.

John Lever

the prices for jackets continue to move into the out of control category. I'm just wondering, what other items..........anything..........come to one's mind where the reproduction/"exact copy" costs way more than an original the repro is trying emulate? Thinking non-jackets or heritage clothing.
Repro E Type Jags and Vanwall racers costing well over 100k.