• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is 1 Real McCoy really worth 4 Aero Leathers??

Pilot

A bit of oil onto all this fire...
The RMcC-Japan uses /does
1) "real maker snaps/studs/fastener ..other prime maker dont (BK/Platoon/GW do)
2) uses real maker neck Labels, maker Labels and real maker size tags
other prime maker dont...has pocket size tags in A-2´s (some prime makers dont)
3) use real WW2 cuts and patterns especially for A-2´s...discussed here with a lot of spitting and venim ...very recently.
4) uses real Alpaga in their B-10...only Aero does as well..all others no.
5) best hides pe. unbeatable shinki HH and superb WW2 like fleces. (unbeatable so far...experts telling)

5) very value keeping/holding especially for sizes like 44" or XL+++. most of others (GW and BK excepted) dont.--Their value drop drastically.

6) best ( historically accurate) nylons and cotton military repro jackets ever. Almost impossible to get by in 44” or XL++

At the end of the day...the buyer decides and puts his priority...best possible accuracy/value stability vs. moderate and acceptable quality /authenticity but lower price Level...

Last edited:

Grant

Yep, Real McCoy's that much better. From their cloth jackets to their civi leather jackets, the materials, zips, construction, fit are exceptional, IMHO.

BTW, their denim is pretty sick as well.

If the cheaper Aero's your cup-o-tea, then go for it. That's what makes the world go round.

gav

Yep, Real McCoy's that much better. From their cloth jackets to their civi leather jackets, the materials, zips, construction, fit are exceptional, IMHO.

If the cheaper Aero's your cup-o-tea, then go for it. That's what makes the world go round.
Yep I have been buying their denim, chambray, sweats, tees, woollens etc for years. The N-1 deck jacket I’ve had for about 6 years is amazing.
All other sweatshirts have fallen by the wayside and my 7-8 year old navy ball park sweat particularly just gets better and better.

John Lever

Then if you want to step up there's Freewheelers

Grant

Forgot about their sweat shirts, but you're right!
Their 2nd Pattern tanker and USN buckle front deck jacket from about five ago are scary accurate.

zoomer

About size: just like higher prices, stopping at 44 adds exclusivity for Far East customers. They associate large sizes with obesity, which in Asian cultures is not just unfashionable, it’s actually disgusting.

gav

RMC, freeeheelers and toys McCoy were a single company that split somewhat acrimoniously with each heading in a different direction. apparently with some yakuza influence and associations in the japanese Americana and leather worlds.
I heard from someone in the circle in Japan that freewheelers have been excluded from events and magazines to an extent based on the falling out.

newagegeezer

Hmmm, just to throw my 2p into this can of worms, don't know why, really...
i've had many original A2s , G1s, Irvins., B3s, B6s etc over the last 50 years, bought to wear on vintage bikes and WW2 jeep, there weren't the repro makers working back then. I still have a really cheap repro A2 that I used to wear on my bikes, no idea of the maker, still going strong, and it did the job of not being an original to ruin. I'd guess that whichever company is making the repros now spends far longer in making each one than the contractors back in the war days, so probably the stitching is better, the hides are better quality etc, guys want better fitting etc etc and obviously import tax etc plays a major part of cost if involved. In my opinion buy an original in good condition, quite often these cost less than a repro anyway and treat it well. But then a collector's repro market seems to have been established as well, seems strange to me that a repro can cost a lot more than a plain unadorned WW2 A2, G1 etc. then again I wouldn't want a repro Porsche 356A or E type etc .. it's all down to taste and perception. BUT I'm not knocking repros... I have to admit that 20 odd years ago I bought a Buzz Rickson (second hand then) horse hide ANJ3A cos an original was too hard to find, pre i/net (still a pretty rare beast I think), worn it a few times and it's still like brand new, don't think there are many original or repros out there.
never mind, let's all enjoy whatever we can afford & wear with pride
cheers