• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Irvin zipper pull WPG

Bombing IP

Thw WPG Irvin as we all know is a cut price repro with some shortcomings but in my opinion its the best bang for buck out there .It suits me fine for what I need and it wonderful for ground level .Secondly I cannot see dumping a lot of money on a jacket I may wear 10 -15 times a year .I have done some thing to mine to make it better , first I replaced the zipper pulls with horsehide lager sewn ones and hand sew them together.The original fitted were the size of a nickel attached in place with an eyelet . Secondly the finish on the jacket from the maker is very dry looking so I applied Skidmores bees wax all over and buffed . The picture will show the finsih and check on ebay for the jacket are selling the original finish .

Picture of WPG original .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UK-RAF-SHE...282390?hash=item2f4a50f496:g:3OQAAOSw2dJfZdYI

DSC_9184.JPG
DSC_9185.JPG
DSC_9186.JPG
DSC_9187.JPG

Last edited:

B-Man2

Thw WPG Irvin as we all know is a cut price repro with some shortcomings but in my opinion its the best bang for buck out there .It suits me fine for what I need and it wonderful for ground level .Secondly I cannot see dumping a lot of money on a jacket I may wear 10 -15 times a year .I have done some thing to mine to make it better , first I replaced the zipper pulls with horsehide lager sewn ones and hand sew them together.The original fitted were the size of a nickel attached in place with an eyelet . Secondly the finish on the jacket from the maker is very dry looking so I applied Skidmores bees wax all over and buffed . The picture will show the finsih and check on ebay for the jacket are selling the original finish .

Picture of WPG original .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UK-RAF-SHE...282390?hash=item2f4a50f496:g:3OQAAOSw2dJfZdYI

View attachment 47134View attachment 47135View attachment 47136View attachment 47138
Jeff
I smell a business opportunity :)
Make an extra set it two and offer them up for sale here. I think you have a great idea.

Bombing IP

Make an extra set it two and offer them up for sale here. I think you have a great idea.

[/QUOTE]
Well Burt
that would be hard to do because to complete the pull tab the customer would have to sew it closed on his zipper pull .For this you need leather sewing needles and Julius Koch 0.8mm Ritza 25 Tiger Thread for Leather Sewing . So I would have to make the pulls and send out needles and thread for completion on site by the customer ,also you need 2 needles to make the saddle stitch . How much would someone pay for three leather pulls made out of horsehide . But thanks for the thought Bert .

Rgds Jeff

theduellist

Well Burt
that would be hard to do because to complete the pull tab the customer would have to sew it closed on his zipper pull .For this you need leather sewing needles and Julius Koch 0.8mm Ritza 25 Tiger Thread for Leather Sewing . So I would have to make the pulls and send out needles and thread for completion on site by the customer ,also you need 2 needles to make the saddle stitch . How much would someone pay for three leather pulls made out of horsehide . But thanks for the thought Bert .

Rgds Jeff
[/QUOTE]
Jeff,
I have a new Irvin and would like to copy what you have done. I have leather needles and linen thread. Where can I get the new pulls? How did you buff the jacket after you applied the beeswax?
Best,
Ron

Bombing IP

Ron I can send you the leather just pm me your address .

Re the bees wax

I applied the the beeswax with a towel made up of a cut towel .Rubbed it in in circles , let it hang for a day and buff with a towel simple enough ,a second coat get you a deeper shine and now its waterproof also . I will make you a cardboard template so you can cut out the same pattern as mine . You also need contact cement .If anyone else needs some just pm me , the leather is horse hide from John Chapman at Good Wear leather .

I have no affiliation with the company nor do I get paid .I was recommended by a friend many years ago .and I like it .

Rgds Jeff