• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Irvin repros

J.R.303

Hi,
I have had an original, a mystery repro, a WPG and an Aces High. None of which hit the spot so I looking at an Aero Leather repro Irvin now.
If anyone can post some photos of theirs I would be greatful.
Also I gather they are slightly less thick and heavy to wear so making them more versatile is this the general consensus?

s4rmark

0286FCE6-BA51-4118-9BA5-09C747420AF5.jpeg
Here’s my Aero Leather Irvin
7917E62A-289E-4349-9340-2EA81B3B8A93.jpeg
60A564D1-2553-43F8-811E-A27DDDE82EFD.jpeg

s4rmark

IMO, Aero Irving’s are soft and supple out of the box , they require no breaking in and are easy to wear for long periods without tiring . I also have an ANJ-3 and a B-3 from another well known manufacturer and these jackets are heavy and tiring to wear for long periods . Having said that , the purpose of all these jackets was to keep the wearer warm in an aeroplane and not walking around as a fashion accessory.

stanier

Hi,
I have had an original, a mystery repro, a WPG and an Aces High. None of which hit the spot so I looking at an Aero Leather repro Irvin now.
If anyone can post some photos of theirs I would be greatful.
Also I gather they are slightly less thick and heavy to wear so making them more versatile is this the general consensus?
Personally, I think if you've had an original and an Aces High jacket, I'm not convinced you'd be happy with an Aero jacket. Having said that, I think the Aero is a cracking jacket and if I was buying an Irvi n now would be my choice.

J.R.303

Thanks guys.
I have got rid of all mine apart from the WPG as it is more wearable but the shoulders are too broad making the the arms a bit too long, and that's size 40.
I normally take a 42 and have a alc b6 in 42 which fits well, so should I go for the 42 Irvin?
Also has anyone got any pics of the differeance between the russet and seal brown?

s4rmark

If it helps , I take a size 40r in all my other sheepskin and leather jackets but the Aero Irvin I have on in the pics above is a size 42.

J.R.303

Lord Flashheart

Hi J.R.

See pics in my link below. My Aero Late Model RAF jacket in a 42 (I'm a 40 in real life whatever that is). Edit. In russet. Not as heavy as my other Irvin repro from (I think) the predecessor of British Sheepskin co.

Last edited:

MrProper

Is one of these coastal command one russet and the other one seal brown?
Also what size do you take normally and what size are the jackets.
I'm just about to pull the trigger and I want to be sure.

Unfortunately I only have one Coastal Command. The picture, on which it looks more like russet, has only a filter. The color that comes closest is the dark pictures. I have size 44 or sometimes 42 depending on the pattern of the jacket. This one is a 42 with longer sleeves and body and tapered down to a 40 or 38 (I think 4" less)
My measurements:
Relaxed chest: 43.3“
Natural waist: 34.25“
Hip: 35.4“
This is closest
ED859A91-1057-4C7D-94D8-71D9596EE0C4.jpeg

J.R.303

I should perhaps add I have a ALC b6 in size 42 and it fits fine with anything other than a jumper.
I sent Holly my measurements and she suggested a 42 Irvin would be fine.
I normally take a 42 but only measure about 41 but seem to have broad shoulders so a 42 can be tight around the arm holes.
I so want to get an Irvin that fits me, fifth time happy I hope!
I suppose a 42 could always be returned and then a size up be ordered with another four month wait though. Arghh!!!

Bremspropeller

Don't overthink it too much. If you like the fit, you'll be fine anway. Also, people are suggesting that the Irvin is supposed to be large in terms of fit.
Well, it's just another service-jacket, so you'll find all kinds of "historical" fits if you onle search long enough.

Like this one:
214419.jpg

MrProper's CC jacket is a great example to a non-historical fit (very trim, long body), looking absolutely awesome.

Griffon_301

I have an ELC 1942 pattern Irvin incoming in size 44 and I am curious how that will fit compared to my 1940 pattern in 46...

I hope the fitnwill look a little like in the pic of Bremspropeller...

J.R.303

Yes, I know really, you are all right and I've been aware of this info for ages.
I just want one that suits me!
Maybe I should just wear my 15 year old elc Luftwaffe, or the alc b6 or the Bronson N1 or the 80's biker jacket some more......

Griffon_301

Yes, I know really, you are all right and I've been aware of this info for ages.
I just want one that suits me!
Maybe I should just wear my 15 year old elc Luftwaffe, or the alc b6 or the Bronson N1 or the 80's biker jacket some more......

That's the main problem... You need to find the jacket that suits you and you alone...it's that special feeling when trying the jacket on for the first time - nothing can replace that feeling. If it's right, the jacket is a keeper, if not, it's better to not buy it at all...
You can ask a thousand people and get a thousand opinions but still, if the feeling wearing it is not right, the jacket just is not the right for you...

I buy nearly all my clothes and shoes now based on that simple rule...heck fashion and heck labels and brands...

So in your case, my only advice will be to try the brand You want for real and decide then...there is no substitute for actually trying on a jacket if you are unsure ... Pictures can be very misleading...

busdrivermike

Spot on advise. Irvin sizing was all over the place as were most issued flight jackets. We’ve discussed wartime fit numerous times over the years . It ran from the trim fit above to the 2 sizes too big look below. So as Bremspropeller advises . Don’t make yourself nuts over it.View attachment 48460
That’s a great photo, years ago I had an Irvin from aviation leathercraft I had it sized like
The photo , friends used to joke about there being no room in the front of the car when
I was wearing it