• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Irvin RAF Flying Jackets

BJR

Wow, this is all very helpful information. Thank you so much for the great replies!! I have looked over the other sections as well and have found some great information and pictures as well. So far it seems like Aeros and Eastman are the best bet for authenticity. How would one go about getting and original jacket (size 38 or 40), and cost?

Thanks,

BJR

B-Man2

Wow, this is all very helpful information. Thank you so much for the great replies!! I have looked over the other sections as well and have found some great information and pictures as well. So far it seems like Aeros and Eastman are the best bet for authenticity. How would one go about getting and original jacket (size 38 or 40), and cost?

Thanks,

BJR
Actually you might be surprised that those sizes are more available than the larger sizes. They aren’t as available in the US as they are in the UK however they do pop up on eBay from time to time. There are some issues that you should be aware of regarding wearing and owning original jackets particularly sheepskin jackets from WWII. The skins are fragile and if you don’t know what your buying you could loose your investment. Remember that the jacket was made 8o years ago and sheepskin dries out if not maintained properly. Original sheepskin jackets are not for everyday wear. So think about what you want to do with the jacket before you buy it .
You are far better off buying a repro for everyday use.

BJR

Actually you might be surprised that those sizes are more available than the larger sizes. They aren’t as available in the US as they are in the UK however they do pop up on eBay from time to time. There are some issues that you should be aware of regarding wearing and owning original jackets particularly sheepskin jackets from WWII. The skins are fragile and if you don’t know what your buying you could loose your investment. Remember that the jacket was made 8o years ago and sheepskin dries out if not maintained properly. Original sheepskin jackets are not for everyday wear. So think about what you want to do with the jacket before you buy it .
You are far better off buying a repro for everyday use.
Thanks B-Man2. I am definitely looking for an everyday use jacket. Looks like an original is out of the question, as expected.

asiamiles

I have an original that should fit you. A late war model in prime condition - it saw very little wear back in the day and I've not worn it since I acquired it - the only minor issue being one of the sleeve zips is a vintage replacement. Not sure of the value, but it'll cost you less than an Eastman repro, and will probably outlast one.

johnwayne

There you go, Asiamiles jacket sounds good otherwise place a 'Want to Buy' stating your requirements in the Buy/Sell section on this site! I'm sure you'll find we're all trustworthy types but best of luck and do post something with a pic if you succeed!!

Reactions: BJR

BJR

Agree with posting something in the Want to Buy section, with requirements, and pictures of course!

asiamiles

I just found this old pic of my original Irvin (via searching), but if of serious interest I can take some new and better ones.

irvinfront.jpg

Last edited:

asiamiles

You may want to the dialogue to the Buy/Sell section.
Well, it's not like I'm actively trying to sell. More like, if someone is interested in buying then I could be interested in selling it...since I've owned it for years and never worn it! Anyway, I've PM'd you the details.

And for those who might like a better look at my Irvin, here's one of the newly taken snaps.

2l07qd0.jpg

Southoftheborder

looks like a very well preserved one. If the OP is serious and it's his size then he's got an instant result. It has to be better than a repro if it's as good as described and wearable. I know these jackets are getting very old now but I remember seeing quite a lot of people wearing originals daily in the fifties and sixties. In fact a friend of mine wore one in all seasons even in the early seventies. He looked a bit daft in the summer but he almost never took it off unless it was very hot.

When I was a small child a few years after the war my father cut up the remains of one he had to make slippers for us. Even then I thought that was sad and asked him if he could save it instead but he said the arms had already gone and it was all it was good for....

Ken at Aero Leather

Well, it's not like I'm actively trying to sell. More like, if someone is interested in buying then I could be interested in selling it...since I've owned it for years and never worn it! Anyway, I've PM'd you the details.

And for those who might like a better look at my Irvin, here's one of the newly taken snaps.

2l07qd0.jpg

Stunning, is it for sale? What size? PM me

asiamiles

looks like a very well preserved one.
I seem to recall the original owner telling me he had never worn it, but kept it in a trunk for 50 years. I've never worn it, and unless I move back to the UK I doubt I ever will. It looks unworn when you look at the sheepskin inner (see 1st pic below). There's a couple of tiny paint marks which probably came from the trunk in which it was stored, and as I mentioned one of the zips has been replaced (see 2nd pic below); perhaps the original fitted one didn't work? But otherwise...

YuI0zag.jpg

T1hg6Sx.jpg