• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Irvin Jacket Collar Strap Question

Falcon_52

I did a search and came up empty on this one. I thought that I would throw this question out there for those who own Irvin jackets: does the Irvin collar strap have any sort of retainer to tuck it out of the way when not in use? The B-6 and B-3 jackets have belt loops on the strap side so that the strap can be folded on itself and slipped through to keep it from flapping around.

From all the pictures that I've seen, it doesn't look like the Irvin has anything like this but wanted to confirm with those more knowledgeable.

Thanks in advance,

Noel

rich

Noel, the elastic strap is attached by means of two small metal loops, one each side of the collar. The strap is normally adjusted to be quite tight against the collar itself, so effectively it doesn't droop or sag from the collar but rather it conforms and hugs onto it. They seem to be missing on most originals today, I don't know if the hoops and elastic straps were attached throughout the production life of the Irvin though. As for the leather strap, I think you're right, it's just left to hang there but it is much smaller and shorter than the ones on the B3 and doesn't get in the way. Hope this helps a bit.
1collar.jpg

1strap.jpg

s1-1.jpg

Andrew

In case anyone's not sure what it was for- a quote from the patent doc from 1933;

"11. A suit or the like as claimed in any of the preceding claims in which a band, for instance of elastic material is fitted to the collar and is adapted to be passed over the head of the wearer in order to keep the collar in an up-turned position and enable a substantially air-tight seal to be made with the helmet worn with the suit."

Otherwise known by many as the "Spare goggle strap" hehehe....

better duck

rich said:
As for the leather strap, it's just left to hang there but it is much smaller and shorter than the ones on the B3 and doesn't get in the way.

Indeed. On my old ELC Irvin it is so short that I can only latch it through the D-rings with much effort after a valiant struggle using my fingertips. I really love the straps on the B3: they look and are utilitarian! Easy to put the collar up and fasten it on a cold and windy day, even wearing gloves.

Falcon_52

Thanks for your replies! My original question was about the leather strap but that is very interesting information about the elastic strap. :eek: I had no idea that the original design purpose was to keep the collar from sagging when turned up! Thanks for posting that Andrew.

So, it sounds like the Irvin leather strap is short enough so that it doesn't smack a person's face in the wind. That answers my question perfectly. Thanks for educating me!

Regards,

Noel

zoomer

Lost Worlds (on the B-2 page) says the elastic is a "headset retaining strap," which doesn't make sense. The air-tight-seal idea does. However, with the LW B-2, you wouldn't need it. The collar is that stiff, heavy and tight (in addition to being about 2" too high when put up).

Andrew

Falcon_52 said:
Thanks for your replies! My original question was about the leather strap but that is very interesting information about the elastic strap. :eek: I had no idea that the original design purpose was to keep the collar from sagging when turned up! Thanks for posting that Andrew.

'Sok Noel, here's a portion of the accompanying drgs showing the idea. It's interesting how different the actual Irvin collar is though.

collar01.jpg

collar02.jpg

Falcon_52

Wow, that illustration is basically a B-2 jacket collar diagram! Maybe the speculation that the Irvin jacket design and the B-1/B-2 jackets designs are related is true after all.

Thanks again, Andrew!

Noel