• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Irvin Air Chute Jacket-Pre-War in a large size

Roughwear

They wouldn't be the only firm to get the terminology wrong, advertising copy is always best written in house :>)

We don't know who wrote the IAC advert. It was reissued for several years and for senior managers not to notice the use of the word lambskin is interesting to say the least!

Ken at Aero Leather

We don't know who wrote the IAC advert. It was reissued for several years and for senior managers not to notice the use of the word lambskin is interesting to say the least!

Not being party to Irvin Air Shute board meetings, I couldn't possibly comment, I do however, with respect, know a thing or two about the size of animal hides after fifty years of cutting and sewing all types of leather

Roughwear

No disputing that Ken. I was really playing devils advocate on this one. Of course lambs are too small to make larger Irvins! BTW. What is your opinion on the modified sheepskin jacket in the Auction Talk section?

Ken at Aero Leather

Hi Andrew

I've already been asked about this and another one from the same vendor......He're's my thoughts oin them

They are both made from used Shearling, the first one (the one on ebay and Auction Talk) is more skilfully put together than the second. It is a decent job if made by an amateur/enthusiast It uses reclaimed materials from WW2 RAF trousers & possibly bits from a centrally heated Jacket

The second one probably doesn’t use RAF sheep although the body shell (not the sleeves) might be recycled RAF materials. It’s also rather poorly made

Neither look well enough made to be a professional conversion although the first is much the better of the two

On a good day the first one might make £300ish , the zipper has value. Alternatively some “improvement” work by someone who knew what they were doing would greatly improve it. ie, zips fitted in the sleeves, proper RAF Belt fitted and the front zipper re-fitted properly.

The other? If it fetched £100 I’d be absolutely amazed

Roughwear

Thanks Ken. My thoughts are the sheepskin may well be from Irvin trousers, but it did not start life as an Irvin jacket. The zip is a Dot with a FF Ltd puller, usually found on sleeve zips. It looks like the sort of jacket put together for USAAF ground crew in the UK, having features of a D-1 and a B-3. It may make £200, but £600 is a dream price!