• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ironing fuzzy knits?

Spitfireace

One hundred percent worsted wool knits tend to get fuzzy with wear. Has anybody tried ironing knits to get the wool smoother when worn? I have washed the knits and then used scissors to trim off fuzz but it's not as smooth as I'd like. Obviously replacing knits is a very expensive proposition.

Spitfireace

sounds like trouble to me....lol. Not that bad anyhow. I was surprised that just trimming with scissors works.

zoomer

I use emery cloth, an abrasive that comes in latticed sheets that are easy to tear into small pieces.
You don't want to press too hard but it will catch those pills when stroked across your knit.

Here's a question...why is it that both all wool *and* all synthetic knits pill and fuzz?

ausreenactor

For 'pilling' I use a battery powered shaver. Usually circular and often they are fitted with a guard that you can remove to get closer. For pulls I use a lighter but they can burn quick and catch the surrounding areas. Scissors to the surface for any seam stitching. Never pull a thread!

Garylafortuna

A sharp light weight barbers scissors works well. The other thing is an electric hair clipper. With either of these methods please tread lightly. If you zig when you should have zagged, it will definitely result in misfortune.