• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting private purchase WWII/Korea jacket

GoodTimesGone

I am normally wary of ebay postings that claim "private purchase jacket" but this one looks legit. It would not be unusual especially for a flyer that went on to serve in the Korean War to buy his own jacket to replace a lost or worn-out A-2.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Tom

a2jacketpatches

GoodTimesGone said:
I am normally wary of ebay postings that claim "private purchase jacket" but this one looks legit. It would not be unusual especially for a flyer that went on to serve in the Korean War to buy his own jacket to replace a lost or worn-out A-2.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Tom

Absolutely, vets are doing it to this day and much less picky about the jacket they have decorated. however, the statement suggests that the jacket was worn before the attack on Pearl Harbor. I'm thinking it is legit but done much later considering the artwork representing three wars and it sounds like you've got the same thoughts.

Roughwear

I agree about the art work on the jacket being post War and no earlier than 1947. The name tag on the jacket has USAF, indicating it was applied after 1947 when the USAF was formed. The jacket itself is likely to date from the period 1945 to 1951.

bebel

I'm not sure that this jacket is from the Korean war period. For me, it's a few more recent. Although almost not any doubt that it was belonging to a vet who has applied paints in memory of his career in Air Force.
Franck

Roughwear

bebel said:
I'm not sure that this jacket is from the Korean war period. For me, it's a few more recent. Although almost not any doubt that it was belonging to a vet who has applied paints in memory of his career in Air Force.
Franck

Franck, I know that vets applied earlier insignia/patches/art work to later jackets. In this case I do not think this is the case. The style of the Conmar Zipper is correct for the late 1940s. Civilian jackets like this one were often advertised in mail order catalogues from the pre-Korean War period.

A

Anonymous

Roughwear said:
bebel said:
Franck

Franck, I know that vets applied earlier insignia/patches/art work to later jackets. In this case I do not think this is the case. The style of the Conmar Zipper is correct for the late 1940s. Civilian jackets like this one were often advertised in mail order catalogues from the pre-Korean War period.
I know nothing about this, however I would agree with Roughwear, just a gut feeling.