• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting...navy peacoat

Nnatalie

Here's an...interesting...one. Came across it while browsing women's (non-military) vintage. Still might buy it, though the odd measurements I'll get into later give me pause.

Fairly standard small size WWII navy peacoat, aside from the odd measurements listed, and the fact that it clearly was repurposed into a women's civilian coat by a later owner.

I looked up the name/rating on the label, and found a Carl Barth who was a signalman. He's listed as a 5'10" and 145 lbs 19 year old on his draft registration, so a skinny kid who could believably have worn a size 34. The listed measurements, however... Poor measuring job by the seller, or was it altered at some point? (Genuine question on my part; someone with more experience than me may easily notice proportions being off or the like)
Chest- 30” (32” snug)

Waist- 28”

Length- 27”

Arm Length- 24”

Shoulders- 17”

If it were a rarer jacket, I think I'd be more disappointed by the embroidery on the collar, but as is, I think its interesting evidence of how military jackets were treated after the war--fundamentally just pieces of useful clothing. Perhaps Carl Barth donated it somewhere when he no longer wore it, or perhaps a wife or daughter needed a new jacket and dug out dad's old navy coat from his younger years.

B-Man2

Interesting customization work-on this one.
Its definitely an original WWII 10 button US Navy issued coat. You did another great job with your research of the original owner.
Lets us know if you decide to go for it .