• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inspiration to usn flying jacket ww2/korea

Peter T

hi all, i have a question about USN flying jacket patched from USN to Korea.
Have you tips which lot of patch (squadron) use for USN Fighter pilot in Korea 1951, served as USN on the end od ww2 I Would like inspirated from some original jacket. Thanks for photos or tips.

Last edited:

Peter T

Google Capt. E. Royce Williams... Korean War Panther pilot. Amazing story. Took on 7 Migs and shot down 4.
Hi, thank you, this is what i think, i am not expert about USN, and i need know, what pathes use.
I am looking for USN Pilot inspiration with start on the end WW2. I think here are some expert about it.
The war jacket of Capt. Williams is right what i mean. After war has another patches? Do you know another pilots?
Thank you much.

Attachments

• Snímek obrazovky 2020-02-11 v 18.34.13.png
    Snímek obrazovky 2020-02-11 v 18.34.13.png
    416.9 KB · Views: 212

Flightengineer

The fight that "did not happen" officially as the Migs were Russian Air Force ones...really an amazing story!

2 cent...This story has “two truths” that don't fit together one another. At one time I saw open Soviet archives on this war (I always was interested in Korean War history, cause my cousin granddad almost not took part in it, but his colleagues, whom I saw alive when I was adult, were in Korea under the command of Pepelyaev). So, there was everything is not quite as Williams tells (or tells from his words).
Apparently, as during any war...

Griffon_301

I would be really interested in the Soviet version of the incident...I read an article recently about the fight that stated it was verified by Soviet records.... It also features prominently in a recent book about the Naval Air War in Korea....as usual, truth is the first casualty of every war....

Flightengineer

I would be really interested in the Soviet version of the incident...I read an article recently about the fight that stated it was verified by Soviet records.... It also features prominently in a recent book about the Naval Air War in Korea....as usual, truth is the first casualty of every war....

Right now, I need to run, Phil, but if you're interested, I can later write to you in PM what I remember about it.

Griffon_301

As said....Google for G1 and M-422a jackets from Korean era. Might be hard to find patches of some of the short lived fighter and attack units from the era or to get the correct era patches of other better known squadrons....

Peter T

ust have better idea, i am looking for hard find items every day, but usaaf WW2, korea and WW2 usn is for me new.

Griffon_301

First step would be to research composition of the air wings and marine air wings involved...when you have the squadrons it's easier to go hunting for patches... But aside the well known Toko Ri Jacket and some famous shots of John Glenn and Neil Armstrong, you will be hard pressed to find good pictures of jackets that show all patches worn in good quality too... Best option might be to go for a name tag on one side and a squadron patch on the other...

Peter T

Hi, Yes, I think USN name tag on left, right Pre Korea patch or ww2 (but first i need know, how squadron was on the end ww2 aktive) and their pilot which was next in Korea war and which Carrier and squadron)
Something can i made.

Peter T

My introduction was one post-war and one Korean patch. I wrote this post for a reason if someone saw in a museum or has an original jacket at home linking the two conflicts both WW2 and the Korean War, I saw something, I had an idea for example. Air Group 4 "Casablanca to Tokyo" and one patch Korean War. I am not a Expert. That's why I asked for advice here. I paint some atches for USAAF (WW2), even A2 jackets, now I also try embroidered patches. But first, I'd rather look at the originals of the possibly pretty copies.
Thank you all.

Peter T

The best what i have seen, is jacket of “LT. R.A. GRANINGER” from USMC. someone here post it in vintageflyingjackets. This is right what i think. But i am looking for USN Pilot. has VMF-214 and VMF-312 patches and 1st marine division "finger" patch.

Members online

Latest posts