• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Information requested - throat latches

Dr H

Hi

I have recently purchased a pair of throat latches from JC for my Perry 42-16175-P to replace a non-standard fitting.

John has directed me towards suitable tools to open/close the circular pins, but does anybody have advice/step-by-step guide to the operation please?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

Ian

bfrench

Administrator
Dr H said:
Hi

I have recently purchased a pair of throat latches from JC for my Perry 42-16175-P to replace a non-standard fitting.

John has directed me towards suitable tools to open/close the circular pins, but does anybody have advice/step-by-step guide to the operation please?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

Ian

Hi, Ian,

Give us a pic of the latches and tools - that may help to get more response.

Cheers,
Bill French

Dr H

Re: Information requested - throat latches - please disregar

Hi Bill

Thanks for your message - please disregard my post I was being dull.

I've taken a proper look at the location of the remaining bits of the old clips and it makes more sense now. I will need to sort out a narrow tapering rod to roll the top lip of the hollow tube over the wire latches, but shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers

Ian

zoomer

Funny thing...any Jo-Ann or similar fabric chain will sell you the latch parts - they're called "sew on hooks and eyes" - but you can't get the rivets. Not even a Tandy Leather handles them. You can put the latch in with Tandy cap-style rivets and the stylus/anvil combo supplied with them, but talk about your nonstandard fittings - it's an absolute sore thumb.
4167761462_64d9a038ed_m.jpg
My Real McQueen. I eventually ripped the Tandys out and sort-of-secured the hook with a piece of bent paper clip.

I think the A-2 was designed to make as much money off the government as possible. Having them in active duty kit meant having to stock up on spares: specialized fasteners (zips, snaps, latches) that were practical, but not indestructible, and could only be replaced with specialized tools of their own.