• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incised Italian operations USAAF squadron patch...well, kind of ;-)

ties70

Hi guys,

it's been a while since I last posted one of my patches, but after two months here in Spain, I caught the bug again...

IMG_20201020_1546106~2.jpg

No reason for you to ask about the squadron...it doesn't exist!

The patch is a pure work of fiction, with two ideas behind it:

1. I always liked the insignia if the 85th FS....I just wondered, why they never did it more detailed and more "artsy".
85th_FS.jpg

(Copyright by MASH, Japan)

2. Then, on FB, I found this, designed by comic book artist Eric Herenguel
Eric_Herenguel_Red_Skull.jpg

...and decided to merge them into my own design.
I incised the leather, as would be authentic for squadrons operating in MTO / Italy, changed the colors and added some more details.

Hope, you like it!
As I contacted Eric Herenguel prior to posting this here, I can assure you that he approved my work! Thanks Eric!!

IMG_20201018_2019137~2.jpg

IMG_20201019_2132247.jpg

IMG_20201020_0839568~2.jpg

Take care!

Ties

Brettafett

Absolutely love your work Ties!
I keep saying I want to give it a go... Just time.

Say, where'd get your leather and what paints you use? Enamels?

ties70

Brett,

my leather usually comes from an almost 100 year-old family business in Hamburg, called Leder-Detmer. Usually, I just take their natural, untanned pigskins or the goat, but they have basically everything....sometimes even decade old hides from animals that you can't hunt or slaughter anymore.

The leather used for this patch is probably 10 years old and has darkened considerably.

The paint is normally heavily diluted acrylics (yes, they were not around in WWII, but so wasn't the horse our jackets are made of today, or the sewing machines, and at AEROLEATHER they are not working for USD 2.50/week, still), that I apply rather thinly to avoid any plasticy appearance.

Of course, I could make everything with enamels, as well.

Everything will be sealed with Tandyleather Satine Shene (not applied to this patch, yet).

Ties

Cocker

Great job, Ties! Eric is a stand-up guy, with a keen eye for WW2 art and flight jacket restoration!

Spitfireace

Brett,

my leather usually comes from an almost 100 year-old family business in Hamburg, called Leder-Detmer. Usually, I just take their natural, untanned pigskins or the goat, but they have basically everything....sometimes even decade old hides from animals that you can't hunt or slaughter anymore.

The leather used for this patch is probably 10 years old and has darkened considerably.

The paint is normally heavily diluted acrylics (yes, they were not around in WWII, but so wasn't the horse our jackets are made of today, or the sewing machines, and at AEROLEATHER they are not working for USD 2.50/week, still), that I apply rather thinly to avoid any plasticy appearance.

Of course, I could make everything with enamels, as well.

Everything will be sealed with Tandyleather Satine Shene (not applied to this patch, yet).

Ties
I think using enamel paints gives a patch a "more plasticy look". That's what they would have used, but it then cracks, and chips, and yellows. Hard to replicate that. Also I think that modern reproductions are generally too detailed. I don't think at the time they had a lot of greatly skilled artists making these patches. They were more rudimentary. That's not a criticism of your patch. Just an observation.