• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the time of Covid and unemployed, had to buy a project jacket G-1

Spitfireace

I told myself I wouldn't spend money when I'm not working. I'm on like an emergency fund here in Canada. So anyway, I had my eye on this jacket for a while because it sounded by description that it would fit me I'm five three and a hundred thirty or so pounds. It's a 1967 Ralph Edwards. As far as I can tell by the hard to tell worn label. The seller tried to say it was a 1960 but number sequence doesn't add up. He also thought the zipper is original. It's a Talon aluminum from the eighties I think, and also the knits are not original as far as I can tell. I thought it would be a good wearer for cheap and then I washed it in the bathtub because it smelled like musty. Then next day when I was repairing the knits and I noticed the teeth of the zipper were falling out. The previous day it zipped ok when I tried it on and I noticed no missing teeth or problems. I don't think it's the washing of it, because the teeth were not falling off, but were broken at the clamping part of the tooth. The aluminum was fatigued and broke. So now I'm not happy because I thought I had a wearable jacket for cheap. I can't believe I thought the cheap jacket exists I always do this
20200624_114102 (1).jpg
20200624_114102 (1).jpg
20200624_114215 (1).jpg
20200624_121620.jpg
. I told myself after the last project, a BR B-15 from Japan, I would not take on seemingly cheap jackets. I mean all jackets with knits are going to need a change sooner or later. Also a zipper. On the good side, it's a black label Vietnam jacket. Great lining and great collar.

Attachments

• 20200624_114129 (1).jpg
    20200624_114129 (1).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 156

Spitfireace

Just got my other cheap jacket today. It's a Flight Apparel Industries A-2 jacket. Looks like it was hardly worn. Seems pretty authentic. Between my Aero Scotland 15142-P and my original Monarch, the leather on this jacket seems more authentic really. Reproductions use thicker leather than the originals had at least in my experience. One thing that is not authentic is a single stitch on the epaulettes, whereas it should have two. The other thing is the collar seems large. I measured it and it is only a quarter inch larger than my Aero. The FAI has a collar stand so that makes it seem larger I think. Once it wears in it should be a good beater jacket.

Hard to find much info on this jacket but here's some on Fedora Lounge:
A-2 front.jpg

Attachments

• A-2 back.jpg
    A-2 back.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 125
  • Label.jpg
    Label.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 113
  • zipper.jpg
    zipper.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 119

Spitfireace

I find it interesting that this pre-dates most other reproductions. Eastman and Aero Leather. I guess there was Avirex. I think that is why it's a classic in that regard and somewhat collectable.

Spitfireace

Just got a NOS Conmar zipper and a set of knits from MASH for my G-1. Called my leather jacket tailor to get the work done and explained I'm unemployed from Covid and it's summer and I can't wear the jacket
20200717_110323.jpg
. So he kind of talked me out of doing the work until fall when it would be more appropriate. I'm kind of disappointed because I want to see the zipper in the jacket, but ya it's crazy at this time to be doing stuff like this. I really don't know how things are going to go as far as getting back to work and stuff.