• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In a french militaria show in St Avold today …

Micawber

Reminds me of countless other shows I would trail around and with my wife in tow in my latter collecting years too. The anticipation that there might be a rare piece at a bargain price was virtually irresistible! :D

Regarding the "Full Gear" book. Of course it goes without saying that there was also a whole world of flight apparel being produced and developed outside the United States during the same period.

As a rider and aside to Burt's recent thread about VLJ, vintage / repro etc I often think the title ought to reflect that the place is generally, but not exclusively U.S centric.

Pilot

when the book was published, I believe I paid somewhere in the vicinity of $200, which I considered outrageous. as written previously, indispensable. once in a blue moon they do come up, and are offered in the $300-$500 range. I might add that in aota's case his research, and putting the book together was a labor of love. if he saw a profit from his efforts, it was minimal, if any at all.
They pop up on buyee.jp from time to time and sell for 950-1100 Euro plus all other costs.
Check it out.

917_k

It’s a shame that book is now basically out of reach for pretty much everyone, apart from either those with very deep pockets or those who get lucky. Having said that, between what is posted on here, other online resources and the expertise of current collectors, I’m sure someone with the money and inclination could produce a modern book to match this.