• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Importing fees to US

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Gents

I found a WWII jacket (used) in Germany and it’s over the 1000$ (insurance would be a good idea), I was wondering if somebody here could give some info about the % fee for importing to US or if is it required to pay when the jacket is used regardless its price. How does that system work?

Looking forward to see your insights, thank you in advance.

Regards
Jorge

Clark J

I’ve purchased a ton of stuff including a few new jackets from Eastman and Aero and have never paid a dime . Have never had an item opened by US customs .

scwells

I have also received many items from Germany (and several other countries), including a box that was 30"x18"x18". I have never paid duties. I also don't think customs ever opened a box.

Ken at Aero Leather

Gents

I found a WWII jacket (used) in Germany and it’s over the 1000$ (insurance would be a good idea), I was wondering if somebody here could give some info about the % fee for importing to US or if is it required to pay when the jacket is used regardless its price. How does that system work?

Looking forward to see your insights, thank you in advance.

Regards
Jorge

When we were doing much more vintage export & import we used a refrence number for "Goods of Historic/Military Interest", never failed
I can't find the excemption number in my files but trawl through customs regs for excemptions and you'll find it. Supposed to be for goods over 100 years old but custom checkers never check assuming the number is 100% legit, I assume

PS If I recall correctly I posted the number on here years ago

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Thank you guys for your replies.
@Ken at Aero Leather would that be this one;

H tariff Code: 9705.00.70 - Archaeological, historical, or ethnographic pieces "Collections and collectors' pieces of zoological, botanical, mineralogical, anatomical, historical, archeological, paleontological, ethnographic or numismatic interest."

I found a thread here but was not sure if it works in US: