• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm Not Even Crazy About B-10s...

Phantomfixer

Atticus said:
TankBuster said:
Sorry to hear about the aero!

For sure... there are way better repros out there. Eastmans Roughwear B-10 is the by far the best B-10 repro on the market! The problem is, they aren't cheap!
Truthfully, I wasn't looking for a B-10 'cause I've never cared that much for them. This one just showed up when I was looking for something else. I haven't heard back from the seller yet, but I'm going to insist on a refund. It is difficult for me to believe that he didn't know the zipper is broken. It won't even remain zipped with the jacket laying flat on a table.

AF
AF if it zips but won't stay zipped try closing the gap on the zip head...if too great, the result will be an unsecure zip...a pair of pliers and pinch it closed a tad...if too tight, you'll know...open it back up a tad...there is a sweet spot....

g luck

ausreenactor

I bought a Buzz Rickson Superior Togs B-10 that was listed with a 'broken zipper' on the listing from Japan. Paid US$100 plus change. As new otherwise. Decal and knits are perfect. I thought I could replace the zipper and move it on. When it arrived I could not even feed the zipper into the puller. I opened it up with an awl and had a play, squeezing here and widening there. Now the zipper is fully functional. The openings and angle of the brass zipper were the issue. Problem solved. With the eBay return policy you will be looked after, and possibly keep the jacket? Good luck with it.

I also have a RM Stagg B-10. I have never seen an ELC B-10; however, the RM version is pretty darn good. Eclipses a BR in all aspects.

archbury918

I did the same thing on an Aero B-6 I have. I found as I moved, the puller slipped lower and lower.
I VERY gently used a needle nose on the gap. After testing if it was enough, repeated 2 or 3 more times.
My puller snapped by that time.
Aero was good enough to send me a complete zipper replacement. I eventually found a Crown puller to lock in place.

I think the problem he is describing is that the teeth come apart after it is zipped.....below the puller

ausreenactor

archbury918 said:
I think the problem he is describing is that the teeth come apart after it is zipped.....below the puller

That was the secondary drama once I opened up the 'top' of the zipper. The 'bottom' was too spread apart too far to lock the teeth in properly.

foster

The Eastman B-10 is nice. I particularly like the cotton shell fabric and the alpaca is warm and very lightweight. I tried on a new Buzz Rickson last month, but the shop only had a size 44 and I would have fit a 46 better, only they don't seem to offer those except in the US and the UK. The BR one was also lightweight and well made, but the cotton shell fabric was different from Eastman, and I think the base of the zipper was placed a little high from the bottom edge of the jacket, making it a little more difficult to get started.

Honestly the only flaw I found in my ELC one is the stock number doesn't match the tagged size. Most people would never notice. Oh, and I wish they offered them without the AAF decal.

Atticus

The seller was very gracious and returned my money including shipiping. So the aero is now back with its oigional owner and I am, again, B-10less.

AF

foster

ausreenactor said:
foster said:
Oh, and I wish they offered them without the AAF decal.

Just get the patch of your choosing from Sean? Leather 82nd patch fits over the top perfectly.

That is a tempting thought. A friend of mine placed an 82nd Airborne patch over the decal on his At The Front B-10 a few years ago. He suggested I do the same, but I sold the ATF one when I upgraded to an ELC.

johnwayne

The B10 has always for me almost like the offspring of a G1 and Tank jacket, both of which I have, nonetheless I still find myself tempted when the odd nice one shows up despite knowing I possibly wouldn't wear one that often and I agree, the ELC does look far nicer than most others, apart from maybe an original, for that reason!
Cheers
Wayne