• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm Not Even Crazy About B-10s...

Atticus

...but I just bought one. Its an older Aero and it appears to be in pretty good condition. The right cuff knit is a bit frazzled, but I think my seamstress can darn it. Again, of all the American flight jackets, the B-10 may be way low on my favorites list. But the price was decent and I couldn't resist. Photos when the jacket arrives.

AF

Peter Graham

It takes all sorts. In my opinion the B-10 is one of the most attractive and practical flight jackets ever made. Just you wait Geoff, you'll love it.

TankBuster

Peter Graham said:
It takes all sorts. In my opinion the B-10 is one of the most attractive and practical flight jackets ever made. Just you wait Geoff, you'll love it.

I agree, definitely one of my favorites for wearing. The A-2 is cool looking, but the B-10 is the most practical and comfortable. I think its a cool looking jacket as well. The preferred flight jacket of WW2 fighter pilots! ;)

Atticus

My father used to say that he never liked the "horse hide" jacket because it was cold and stiff...he much preferred his "green jacket". But I've never known what "green jacket" he was talking about. If he was here today, I'm confident he wouldn't know either. Dad loved airplanes and could talk your ears off about engines and superchargers and performance limits and firepower...but he didn't give a flip about the accouterments that go with being a fighter pilot. A jacket was something that kept you warm...nothing more.

I'd like to think the green jacket was a B-10...and this was in the back of my mind when I pulled the trigger on the Aero...but given Dad's late war service, it could have just as easily been a B-15. So far, I've only found a photo of him wearing an A-2 and (recently) his cadet M-41. Sadly, I guess I may never know for sure what the green jacket was.

AF

MikeyB-17

Aero's early B-10's (actually probably even the later ones) didn't have the thick furry alpaca lining like originals and better repros-it was more like tweed. I had one for a while, and although it was nice, with a beautiful mouton collar, I didn't wear it much. I would imagine a Buzz or RM would be warmer. I also once emailed Ken Calder about the label, which had a spelling mistake-'Air material command' instead of 'Air materiel' command-and he acknowledged I was right, but I'm not sure they ever changed it.

Atticus

MikeyB-17 said:
I also once emailed Ken Calder about the label, which had a spelling mistake-'Air material command' instead of 'Air materiel' command-and he acknowledged I was right, but I'm not sure they ever changed it.

Mikey...either Ken must have not followed your suggestion...or this is an older jacket as I suspect.

AF

MikeyB-17

That's the same as mine was-same lining. Mine had a poplin shell, which Aero said was authentic. I actually bought mine from the Aero sale page as it was one of the prototypes.

foster

The B-10 is a great jacket, Atticus. But sadly the time to wear it in NC is rapidly disappearing until October perhaps. :cry:

Atticus

foster said:
The B-10 is a great jacket, Atticus. But sadly the time to wear it in NC is rapidly disappearing until October perhaps. :cry:
It is indeed. Eighty degrees today. But it's supposed to turn cool next week. There's an old tale here that the last cold snap of winter comes within a week before or after the first full moon in April. After that, you can take your stove out to the barn. Before that, you need to keep a jacket on a hook by the door.

AF

archbury918

I have a cousin that was a bombardier on A-20's in Italy in WWII.
He told me he preferred the B-10. Still has it today.

6.html

He told me he gave away his A-2 in college after the war.

Atticus

archbury918 said:
He told me he gave away his A-2 in college after the war.
I'll bet a lot of A-2 and M-422a jackets ended up in the possession of post-war girlfriends who never quite made it to "wife" status. My father returned almost everything issued to him by the USAAF. He brought home only the uniforms he had purchased himself and a few odds and ends he'd accumulated along the way. So far in his effects, I've found a P-47 altimeter that he used as a barometer, a navigator's pocket watch without its shock resistant housing, and (interestingly enough), what appears to be a pitot tube from a P-47.

BTW, I've yet to receive my B-10. I guess the seller didn't post it until nine days after I paid (via Paypal). Tracking says it will be here tomorrow.

AF

foster

That figures, it will arrive on the warmest day we have had forecast in a while! But there should still be some cooler days coming up for it.

Atticus

Well...the jacket came today. Broken zipper. Very disappointed and have requested a refund.

AF

MikeyB-17

Atticus said:
Well...the jacket came today. Broken zipper. Very disappointed and have requested a refund.

AF

Well, like I said-there's better B-10 repros out there anyway.

TankBuster

Sorry to hear about the aero!

For sure... there are way better repros out there. Eastmans Roughwear B-10 is the by far the best B-10 repro on the market! The problem is, they aren't cheap!

Atticus

TankBuster said:
Sorry to hear about the aero!

For sure... there are way better repros out there. Eastmans Roughwear B-10 is the by far the best B-10 repro on the market! The problem is, they aren't cheap!
Truthfully, I wasn't looking for a B-10 'cause I've never cared that much for them. This one just showed up when I was looking for something else. I haven't heard back from the seller yet, but I'm going to insist on a refund. It is difficult for me to believe that he didn't know the zipper is broken. It won't even remain zipped with the jacket laying flat on a table.

AF