• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm just window shopping but what are good quality repro contract A-2's that are under $200

AlexLutov

These are just my tips..Although I had a lot of a-2 jackets for about the amount you are talking about, I sold them all in the end. I'm not saying they're bad, like Gibson and Barnes or Cooper..I'm just saying that it's not exactly what I needed..I was very lucky and I bought goodwear a-2 here on the forum and this is what you need! Be patient and save your money))) this is just my advice, good luck!

MaydayWei

These are just my tips..Although I had a lot of a-2 jackets for about the amount you are talking about, I sold them all in the end. I'm not saying they're bad, like Gibson and Barnes or Cooper..I'm just saying that it's not exactly what I needed..I was very lucky and I bought goodwear a-2 here on the forum and this is what you need! Be patient and save your money))) this is just my advice, good luck!

And a damn fine-fitting one at that, @AlexLutov! That's a keeper for life.
Alex is right @Dimitry M, those who buy cheap almost always buy twice.
Not necessarily because cheap is bad, but (rather) cheap is settling for something that is almost what you want.
I'm sure others will echo my sentiments because we've all been through it; and, at the end of the day, we always end up saying 'life is short' and spending the full bill on what we really wanted all along.

Save up the money and get a G*ddamn Platon Dubow!

Brettafett

Dmitry, late chime here, but you wont find anything 'decent' for under $200. Even secondhand.
You could try, if you're patient, but for $200, even a secondhand jacket will likely come with faults and issues. Replace the knits on a beaten up A-2 will cost you another $100.
Your best bet imo, is to save some more cash and get a Fivestar Dubow.
Or email AVI LTHR and ask about their Bronco and Perry A-2s, they are planning to re-launch this year, and will be around same price Im sure.

But.... If you are really clever and want a big WIN out the gate... Save some more and get one of Platon's Dubows (email him until he agrees to make you one). You won't need another A-2.

ES335

I doubt there are any. I do have an '03 Gibson and Barnes A-2 that I recently sent in for badly needed re-kniting and lining. Excellent quality, it's been around the world more than once. Good luck!

Dimitry M

not mine but i wonder how high the bid will go

B-Man2

not mine but i wonder how high the bid will go
I’d guess somewhere around $500.

917_k

Condition doesn’t look great, despite the replacement liner and knits. It’s definitely not a wearer.

tda003

Hmm. Now that you mention it. I have a very heavy horsehide, heavily finished Flight Suits seal A-2 I'm thinking of selling.

Great true 44 fit, great knits. Just really bullet-proof hide.

I think it's worth a little more than $199, however. Just me, but I'll test the waters.
If you still have and want to sell it, let me know and your price. I'd be interested in acquiring one without letting my fellow Jarheads know.

Smithy

I've commented earlier but thought I'd add to it.

It really depends what you're after - how much accuracy and what sort of quality.

For $200 you won't get much of either even secondhand. Caveat I did get a pre-production WPG first run A-2 for 150 bucks which was unbelievable for the price but I won the lottery on that - the production ones were nowhere near as good and I know for a fact that that kind of lightning will never strike twice.

You're far better saving your money and depending how much you can save and how long you have the patience to do so, go from there. Save a bit more and get a 5 Star or higher end repro secondhand.

But if you're after an ultimate reproduction with all the little details and nuances then you'll need to save up for longer and get an A-2 from one of the best makers.

I've bought lots of cheapo jackets in my time and have gotten a lot of use out of them and enjoyed them but they are never going to be as good as the best of the best, but that's like anything you buy. Whilst cheap jackets can be fun I think if you love A-2s and want a repro then eventually you're always going to end up wanting to buy one of the top repros.

The question is do you buy a cheap jacket now and down the line save up for a top maker or do you bite the bullet and start saving now for the Big Daddy A-2?

Only you can answer that, but unless you suddenly lose interest in A-2s I can guarantee eventually you'll want to scratch that high end maker itch.