• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you can shrink em, can you stretch em??

Has anyone with a leather jacket that was a bit too small had any success wetting them down and then wearing them to stretch them out a bit??

fedoralover

fishmeok

Yep, I shrink 'em and stretch 'em. Soak it in the washer, spin dry, and wear until you get the fit you want. Stretch, bend, etc. you will be amazed at the results.
Cheers
Mark

zoomer

Of course, you'll have to get used to comments like "Is it raining out there?", "Lemme guess, you just washed your dog," or the ever-popular "There goes Wet Leather Man again - hide the children!"

Then again, in the Cities in December, they may not make fun of you at all...they'll just call 911 to come pick up your hypothermia-racked body from the snowdrift you've curled pathetically up in.

Thanks, I've been thinking of getting a G-1 on the bay. There seems to be quite a few for sale, but sometimes the measurements seem a bit shy of what I'd like. But if they can be stretched an inch through the chest it would give me more to pick from.

regards fedoralover

CBI

G-1's are typically goat and I don't think that stretches/shrinks as easily

watchmanjimg

Goat may not stretch as easily, but at least one forum member did this awhile back. I think he stuffed a rolled sleeping bag inside the zipped G-1 and achieved the desired result.

zoomer

I have some goat-stretching experience (my gosh that didn't come out quite like I expected it to... :?...I mean experience stretching goatskin jackets!) Anyway, it will stretch, but it seems to me it's a little bit more likely to eventually regain its original dimensions than other leathers.

I have my Gibson & Barnes M-422A, originally a largish size 40, drying out this evening after a soak and stuff session to get it to a roomy 42 (I used 2 big bolster pillows and a bed pillow). Initial try-on was promising. I'll report back when it's good and dry.

A

Anonymous

wing nut said:
Thanks Einstein, think that up all by yourself ? :roll: :D :D I have found it to be very difficult to nail my size via mail order as every jacket maker sizes differently.

Done both, shrink and stretch, not that hard.

Vcruiser

I think that I was resized last night with that large order of BBQ'ed ribs and those 22 ounce coldbeers. Stood in a cold shower this morning going for shrinkage. Oops..now I gotta find a twenty pound weight...... :eek: :shock:

hacker

Vcruiser said:
I think that I was resized last night with that large order of BBQ'ed ribs and those 22 ounce coldbeers. Stood in a cold shower this morning going for shrinkage. Oops..now I gotta find a twenty pound weight...... :eek: :shock:

Wingy might have a few tips for ya :eek:

airfrogusmc

:lol: :lol:
Van I'm a turkey sammich from bust'n outta everything. its like 10 degrees today; can't afford any more shrinkage.

Cobblers161

After much deliberation I stepped into the shower this morning wearing only trunks and a GW Dubow.

I am pleased to report that after 20 minutes of sustained water action, a brief spin in the washing machine and a few hours wear the grain is popping up, some nice creases are developing and I've gained 3/4" across the chest which is just what I wanted.

The downside is my wife thinks I'm a freak, it was the carrier bag as a substitute for a shower cap that further developed her idea. She may be right.

I'll post some pics in a day or so once it's fully dried.

Excellent call, thanks for the info.

A

Anonymous

Don't forget to condition the leather now that it might have the oils/waxes washed out.

johnnynotoes-1

T-shirt/sweatshirt/another sweatshirt/fleece sweater/wool pullover... Then? Squeeeeze, and zip yourself into soaked jacket. Sleep on couch like an overstuffed sausage. Make sure anyone who counts understands what the hell you're doing. The tossing, turning, sweating and scrooching around trying to get comfortable for 7 or 8 hours, will get the desired result. Be ye a sucker for punishment and sideways glances, you can repeat for another night, vindicating your odd[?] behavior with a newfound contentment and a jacket that fits. Creases, wrinkles and grainpopping??? Yessir!

Be sure to say I told you so with a smile, offer to do the laundry AND do nothing else out of the ordinary for at LEAST a week.

My definition of soaked was to actually dunk the jacket into a laundry tub of hot water for 2 or 3 minutes. I can't say for sure but depending on certain dyes/patches/stamps etc., there could be color run I suppose. There are perhaps some risks. However my plain ol' steer cycle jacket turned out just fine. 44 to at least a 46, by my reckoning. A sturdy utility jacket should be able to take some good abuse. I wouldn't hesitate to try this again if I nab a good deal. BTW...Don't make yourself such a sausage that you compromise seams and zips. Good sense and fair estimation is the rule.