• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ideas to fix wrinkled shoulder panel on a Vanson?

Chevalier

Hi,

Does anyone have advice on how to deal with this uneven shoulder wrinkling on a Vanson riding jacket (Manx, I think)?
6c2ca9e5248a8b6cfb0918c5efe85d6a.jpg

If this is just normal aging of the leather, I don’t want to mess with it. However, it looks like the leather may have gotten wet and been dried improperly. The unevenness between the adjacent panels also bothers me a little.

Vanson only recommends cold water (with a small amount of dish soap, if necessary) to clean and using their leather balm. I have tried this, but it does not loosen the wrinkles on the back shoulder panel.

Any ideas to relax the leather and stabilize it in that panel?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeyB-17

Mate, blokes around here rave about that kind of grain. They soak jackets in hot water and knead and pound them to bring it out. Some buy jackets specifically asking for mismatched panels like that. It’s part of the appeal of a leather jacket, the breaking-in process. Different bits of leather develop different patterns of grain over time, you see it in nearly all leather jackets, some panels really grainy, some smooth. You are not going to get rid of the grain and make that panel smooth. I would wear it as much as possible, and with a bit of luck the other panels will develop grain to match it, although there are some leathers that never seem to break in. If it’s a real problem, try ordering a jacket in something like smooth horsehide-I had an Aero A-2 in that which hardly developed any grain despite prolonged hammering-but there’s no guarantee that another jacket won’t do exactly the same. It comes with the territory. Most of us would be well pleased that our jacket was showing grain like that.

Smithy

What Mikey said. Leather jackets are a natural material and will get wrinkles and marks and all of that, it's the nature of it. There is nothing abnormal with that whatsoever and actually it adds character.

No offence but sometimes people can seriously overthink this stuff. Stop for a minute and consider this fact - it's just a piece of clothing.

Just wear the thing.

Kennyz

Totally agree with MikeyB-17 and Smithy. Personally, I'd be pleased as punch with the character your Vanson is developing, Chevalier! Just wear the heck out of it, and that jacket will only get better and better.

Ken

Edward

wrinkles on face; bad. wrinkles on leather jacket; GOOD! do not attempt to smooth it out. I don't think you even can actually. its called character and grain. asymmetrical panel grain/wrinkles is completely normal and desired. leather jackets look best when aged like a fine wine. its not a flaw nor is it an eyesore... its beautiful!

B-Man2

Oh No !! Not the dreaded wrinkles!:eek:
I’m with Mikey and Smithy, just wear the thing and beat the piss out of it. It will eventually be everything you want in a leather jacket;)

Last edited:

Chevalier

Ok, ok! I’m raising the white flag and surrendering! I will accept the grain and just wear the jacket. I’m definitely learning to accept jackets (especially the vintage ones) as they are. I promise to enjoy them for the unique items that they are.

Thanks again for setting me straight about this :)

B-Man2

Ok, ok! I’m raising the white flag and surrendering! I will accept the grain and just wear the jacket. I’m definitely learning to accept jackets (especially the vintage ones) as they are. I promise to enjoy them for the unique items that they are.

Thanks again for setting me straight about this :)

I like this guy!!;)