• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ID help? Early "G1" w/ USAF Patch

mach_761

Hello all, I could really use some help with this one. I am trying to piece together the history of this jacket, with what little information I have on it. I am hoping to identify the maker of the jacket and whether it is an M422, M422A, ANJ3, etc, which is difficult with the tag and liner missing. I have noted some details about it, listed below. I know that it is immediately a strange sight because it is a USN jacket with a USAF/USAAF patch, but it came directly from the family and I believe it was worn this way. I think the jacket was worn modified, and the cleanly removed liner almost makes me think it was worn without a liner? Or maybe a planned restoration that never happened? One big oddity is the leather extensions of the zipper flap are gone and zipper stop has been moved up, making me think it was worn without the knit on the bottom and likely without the sleeve cuffs.

-Conmar zipper type used in 1940s, does not appear to be changed.
-No pencil pocket.
-Real mouton collar with sharp corners.
-No USN punched in zipper flap.
-No USN painted on collar.
-3x Red bakelite(?) armpit/sleeve vents/grommets.
-Pre-1950 USAF 12th Fighter Squadron patch.
-Light reddish brown tinted liner.

Any direction or insight would be appreciated for this one. If I can figure out the manufacturer or at least exact model of "G1", I'll be able to use that to narrow down the years of his service. I have that his last name was Swafford, from the state of Georgia and possibly lived in Ohio or West Virginia later. Family does not remember his first name, and I have not found rosters for the squadron yet.

Attachments

• 20201214_122559.jpg
    20201214_122559.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 180
  • 20201214_123057.jpg
    20201214_123057.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 186
  • 20201214_122718.jpg
    20201214_122718.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 172
  • 20201214_122827.jpg
    20201214_122827.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 161
  • 20201214_122835.jpg
    20201214_122835.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 162
  • 20201214_122638.jpg
    20201214_122638.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 172
  • 20201214_121754.jpg
    20201214_121754.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 151

mulceber

Seems like a really interesting piece. I'll be interested to hear what those in the know thing. Based on the pointed collar traces of reddish lining, I'm inclined to say M-422A, but others here know these jackets better than me.

Regarding it being a navy jacket in the use of an AAF pilot, non-standard equipment show up pretty commonly across branches of the service early on. It's not uncommon to see pilots wearing tanker jackets and airborne troops in A-2s. I'm guessing someone managed to scrounge or trade for a navy jacket?

Last edited:

MikeyB-17

I’m thinking possibly AN-J-3a or AN-6552, they were intended for both AAF and Navy (hence AN for army/navy). Definitely nothing on the back of the collar? Would have had US rather than USN on the aforementioned. Possibly in black which might be harder to spot if faded. I think the zip has been changed, or shortened, as you say it was modified to be worn without the waistband, hard to tell but the zip stitching doesn’t look original, and there appears to be the remnants of the waist knit still in situ.

B-Man2

I think MikeyB-17 has offered the most plausible explanation on how this jacket came to be a USAAF jacket . Aside from his thoughts on this, it’s just a guess on my part but did they sell these commercially in the PXs or on the commercial market during the war? Could this have been a private purchase jacket ? There are several instances where private commercially purchased A2 jackets were used by pilots in the USAAF. A commercially privately purchased jacket would also account for missing markings on the jacket . The missing knits were prevalent in many period jackets as some were replaced by parachute riggers with whatever they had that was close to knits or sometimes the knits were just cut away and the jackets redesigned a little .

mach_761

I’m thinking possibly AN-J-3a or AN-6552, they were intended for both AAF and Navy (hence AN for army/navy). Definitely nothing on the back of the collar? Would have had US rather than USN on the aforementioned. Possibly in black which might be harder to spot if faded. I think the zip has been changed, or shortened, as you say it was modified to be worn without the waistband, hard to tell but the zip stitching doesn’t look original, and there appears to be the remnants of the waist knit still in situ.

I wondered about those two types but I don't see many examples online to compare to, and cannot find mil spec info on the requirements for those type jackets. Would love to find that much, that would help. Can not see anything on the collar but I'll have to check again in daylight. Zipper stitching looks original to me but I can take better photos. Certainly bits of knit still stuck in stitching.

A commercially privately purchased jacket would also account for missing markings on the jacket.

That did cross my mind, but all of the private purchase jackets I remember seeing were A2 style. Were there many like these "G1" style jackets?

B-Man2

I wondered about those two types but I don't see many examples online to compare to, and cannot find mil spec info on the requirements for those type jackets. Would love to find that much, that would help. Can not see anything on the collar but I'll have to check again in daylight. Zipper stitching looks original to me but I can take better photos. Certainly bits of knit still stuck in stitching.

That did cross my mind, but all of the private purchase jackets I remember seeing were A2 style. Were there many like these "G1" style jackets?
In later years G-1 jackets that were contract over runs were sold in military PXs , military surplus stores and in commercial stores . Some had the perforated USN wind flaps and were the same as the issued jackets with the military labels removed and white labels sewn in. Today there are several leather companies who will reproduce a G-1 for you . However Original USN G-1s are still in fairly good supply and can be found on EBay and other websites selling military items and uniforms .

galvestonokie

At different times, there were pilot exchanges between services. Example: a USMC pilot might be assigned to a USAF squadron, like John Glenn during the Korean War. i have a buddy who did an exchange with a Canadian squadron and proudly wears that patch.

galvestonokie

I find the photos interesting, especially the 4th pic that exposes the interior without the lining. it shows the 2 elastic straps that run across the back to keep the bi-swing back retracted.