• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'am coming out of the closet!!!!

dujardin

hello Andrew,

i understand your wife :lol: .
whow, so many jackets, equipment a.s.o...
what a dream.....
have you an idea of the date ????

byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee marcel

Cliff

Hawkeye wrote:
All great looking collections, but I gotta say I like Johns the best. All that sheepskin piled on top of one another...makes me drool. Reminds me of old photos of RAF depots with piles and piles of Irvins stacked on top of eachother.

Does anyone else in the UK remember piles of bundles of B3s (or were they D1s) on the floor tied together with string for sale in "Millets" (early army surplus store but now a chain of camping shops) in the late 1950s and early 1960s. I can only just vaguely recall the heaps but an older friend of mine bought a B3 and when he got it home the zip was coming away from the jacket. He took it back and they cut open another bundle and swapped it for a good one. He used it to when he rode his Triumph motorbike until he gave up riding when he bought a car. He told me he threw it away a few years later. :eek: He thinks Millets must have bought a job lot after the war. Maybe it was too expensive for the USAAF to bother to ship them back to the states. Oh for those days again !!

John - There is a Carrefour in Calais which I often visit for wine etc I will take a look to see what they have in the way of storage bags next time I go.

Very impressed with all your "hide cupboards" I keep my sheepskins in draws under the bed and the A2s in my wardrobe but then I have no way near the number that you all have.

regards

Cliff

Andrew

Cliff said:
Does anyone else in the UK remember piles of bundles of B3s (or were they D1s) on the floor tied together with string for sale in "Millets" (early army surplus store but now a chain of camping shops) in the late 1950s and early 1960s. I can only just vaguely recall the heaps...

My Grandma decided to move back to Scotland to live in the early Fifties and she took my Mum and her brothers back with her onboard the Oronsay. When Mum was old enough she moved out to Edinburgh and was a border. She's told me about how she loved to borrow an "American wool Flying jacket" (presumably a B-3) from the owner of the house and wear it down Princess Street with jeans- she's now 75 but still as cool as ever....