• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I. SPIEWAK & SONS A-2

Grant

For some reason the goatskins used on I. Spiewak A-2's are prone to serious red rot, so finding one in good condition is difficult. The goatskins on this one are still in remarkably solid condition, although the knits and lining are delicate.What makes this A-2 special to me personally is having had the chance to speak with the original owner, a navigator with the 320th BG / 441st BS, who flew 41 combat missions from North Africa, Sardinia, and France wearing this jacket. He said the sleeve knits were replaced in France late in the war, but waist knits, lining and Crown zip are all original. Original art of a B-26 Maurader on the back has mostly faded with use and time, but you can just make out the tail of a B-26. Spiewak A-2's have a comfortable cut and fit, very much like it's goatskin New Jersey neighbor, David Doniger.

S1.jpg
S2.jpg

B-Man2

That’s a great jacket and a great story that goes with it. Did you have a chance to talk to the gentleman again or possibly take a photo with him? The jacket looks sweet.

Micawber

Very nice, the rot issue with many Spiewak jackets is noteworthy but that one looks really good. Remaining clues to the artwork are nice too.

ButteMT61

Nice jacket! You're sporting much the same quarantine doo as I am...albeit mine a tad more grey :p
I have a nice Spiewak CWU-45P which while I have no clue on it's "correctness", it was a vintage NOS buy and it has a bi-swing back which makes it really comfy. I've also seen some older Spiewak N-1 deck jackets that were really nice.

Grant

Hey Bert, no, he has since passed, but his stories remain. His description of what it sounded like when flak shrapnel hit the plane and the fear the first time they were attacked by Me262 jets are all priceless memories.

Silver Surfer

a spiewak that isn't rotted! now, that's a rare bird in of itself. its not too often that ya had the opportunity to get an original from the vet himself, making it a double rare bird. the only one that I ever received directly from the original owner [b-17 pilot] was given to me when I was around 11-12 years old.

CBI

great jacket - congrats. the original Spiewak I owned was a great shape but the workmanship was probably the poorest I have seen for an original A-2 and the quality of the goatskin was terrible.