• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need your opinion. Reproduce a WWII theatre made shearling? Or no?

Reproduce a WWII theatre made shearling? Or no?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters

Skyhawk

Hey guys, just like the title says, I was able to procure this awesome theatre made USN jacket. It is an interesting combo of a M444 and D-1 style jacket made from flight pants.
If I build this jacket, would there be an interest in purchasing it? Or is this one a non starter, waste of time in your opinion? Personally I love the jacket:
USN-Mystery2.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

MaydayWei

I'm not a shearling guy, so I really cannot say.
In my personal opinion, I think it would be a waste of time.
With Shawn at 5 Star making steps in this area I think it would be hard to compete with him at his low price point.
Understandably Headwind jackets are far more accurate and are generally of greater quality, so you'd have to charge a price nearer to the higher end of the scale and would have to compete with those already established at that end of the market (ELC, GoodWear, Aero etc.)
To invest the great amount of time and money necessary to garner the materials, develop the patterns etc. etc. for (what I personally foresee) as little interest and tough competition, would make such a venture simply not worth it (financially).

Best of luck, I look forward to the Edmund T Church Prototypes.

WingAndaPrayer

Hey guys, just like the title says, I was able to procure this awesome theatre made USN jacket. It is an interesting combo of a M444 and D-1 style jacket made from flight pants.
If I build this jacket, would there be an interest in purchasing it? Or is this one a non starter, waste of time in your opinion? Personally I love the jacket:
View attachment 57183
View attachment 57184
You might have some success if you tweak it a little and call it a vintage civilian/motorcycle jacket, in my opinion at least.

Skyhawk

I would buy a cable rain coat co. A-2 if they were available for purchase. Especially in a very reddish russet shade.
Is that a request?
Yes I would make a Cable A-2 repro if I had one to copy. It's definitely on my list.
I will have the Two Perry contracts in the works soon. I have the originals.

By the way, I will gladly make a repro of any of the A-2's that are on my list.

I have a new offer. Anyone who owns a
Cable, Roughwear, Switlik or a few others. I will make them a free repro for loaning the jacket to me to copy.

Just contact me with a PM or email.

Skyhawk

It refers to regions of conflict during WWII. Example: Pacific Theater (Theatre)
When something is theater made, it is made in the field by servicemen with available materials.

Possibly in this case, an aircrewman did not have a shearling jacket to wear, and the squadron had extra ripped shearling Pants around. They were recycled in this jacket. A lot of times they had Parachute Riggers (Guys who took care of flight gear and did repairs) do them. They knew how to sew well because they had to do it as part of the repairs.

HarrietTheSpy

It refers to regions of conflict during WWII. Example: Pacific Theater (Theatre)
When something is theater made, it is made in the field by servicemen with available materials.

Possibly in this case, an aircrewman did not have a shearling jacket to wear, and the squadron had extra ripped shearling Pants around. They were recycled in this jacket. A lot of times they had Parachute Riggers (Guys who took care of flight gear and did repairs) do them. They knew how to sew well because they had to do it as part of the repairs.
Thank you! I understood what theater meant with regards to regions of conflict, but couldn't quite figure out what it meant with regards to jackets (and also patches, which is where I ran across the term first)