• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I like big zips

Pilot

Aren't Apple products made in China ?
Plus biggest exporter of ( C-19 related):
masks, testing equipment, analytics, respirators, and soon vaccines for the “emerging” countries .
Their economy is booming... Our world is ... no need to describe it... we all know.

petermack09

& now a shedload of Eastman sheepskins are heading to the classifieds at £300 a pop !!!(I hope):)

Last edited:

Dany McDonald

For my part, I too have experienced that a #10 Conmar, beefier, will be more practical. But I will tend to go with accuracy over practicality with top tier repros...

Quality control and tight project management are key elements when your aim is to stay on top if the game. When subcontracting to another geographical area or face a partner with a different production culture you have to physically have someone from your team be over there to lead a final product with your stamp of approval.

China has massive industrial and manufacturing capacity. They have talent and knowledge and are intelligent. But I know from fact that you have to supervise your product if you want a seamless end result. I mean your clients will not see a difference between product A made in Montreal and product Z made in Shanghai.

Some RM and Buzz nicer jackets have a named team lead attached to it in their communiqué, guess it adds a final touch of refinement to the end result!

D

Pilot

For my part, I too have experienced that a #10 Conmar, beefier, will be more practical. But I will tend to go with accuracy over practicality with top tier repros...

Quality control and tight project management are key elements when your aim is to stay on top if the game. When subcontracting to another geographical area or face a partner with a different production culture you have to physically have someone from your team be over there to lead a final product with your stamp of approval.

China has massive industrial and manufacturing capacity. They have talent and knowledge and are intelligent. But I know from fact that you have to supervise your product if you want a seamless end result. I mean your clients will not see a difference between product A made in Montreal and product Z made in Shanghai.

Some RM and Buzz nicer jackets have a named team lead attached to it in their communiqué, guess it adds a final touch of refinement to the end result!

D
Very well said!

ButteMT61

My point is if they can make a premium laptop or phone why assume they cannot make a low tech item like a leather jacket ?
Colomer as used by McCoys and Y2, the producer of the best sheepskin is in China.
DIff is you have a $2T company that has to watch and closely monitor working conditions at said factories, etc. They have fixed a lot of the production concerns in the other-world countries that have notoriously abused workers.
My guess is many of the cheap crap items we buy are from said places where children and other abuses take place. Forget hides that are acquired in humane ways, and forget pollution controls, etc.
Just my evening rant against the crap factories "over there"...

ButteMT61

I think Japan was put in that bracket at first decades ago. Look what it did to our m/c industry.
I am no fan of China, just saying.....
For sure. I grew up with a grandfather that called it "Jap crap". They showed us, but I think Japan mostly did things right. I have serious doubts about China. Very serious. I just honestly don't appreciate Chinese culture tbh. I've always liked the Japanese and never felt that way about them. Who knows, selective angst? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

zoomer

Besides the .50 cal. horse (le traitement superbe as far as Eastman is concerned), my favorite thing about my ELC HLB A-2 is its #8 Kwik repro zipper. Thing's got some heft. And it is actually a tad easier to engage than the Hookless repro. (What's that one anyway? #7?)

Last edited:

Spitfireace

DIff is you have a $2T company that has to watch and closely monitor working conditions at said factories, etc. They have fixed a lot of the production concerns in the other-world countries that have notoriously abused workers.
My guess is many of the cheap crap items we buy are from said places where children and other abuses take place. Forget hides that are acquired in humane ways, and forget pollution controls, etc.
Just my evening rant against the crap factories "over there"...
I started a whole "rant" thread about this.