• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I like big zips

John Lever

Who are you and what have you done with John ? ;)
Could be my eyesight but fiddly little zips are a bad idea and I doubt the military would spec them today. Most zips on performance clothing are a size big enough to allow operation with cold hands or when wearing gloves.
I remember spending a shed load of cash on a Few B2, it took me a good 30 minutes to get the zipper to work, at one point it jammed and almost broke.

busdrivermike

I fully agree on the big zipper idea especially on a heavy jacket like
A B3 or anj4, D1 or the b2 and Irvin
My noble house, schott, branded G1 and Chicago police jacket
All have size 10 zips, my branded A2 uses a size 5 and it feels so delicate
And can be fiddly with gloves unlike the others that can be done in the dark
With gloves on or cold fingers
If I ever replace the zip on the A2 it’s probably getting a 10
And if I order an m445 from Shawn I would request a size 10
As it would be a jacket I’m wearing in the winter conditions

9A605691-5EC2-4B4E-A161-D885CE8E0B6C.jpeg
2F39A762-8E09-4E9E-898C-AE08CB350A5B.jpeg

stanier

Whats the matter with Buzz Crown zipper? Over the latest 20 years or so since I discovered Buzz Rickson I've had several Crowns on various jackets and never had a problem.

Pilot

Whats the matter with Buzz Crown zipper? Over the latest 20 years or so since I discovered Buzz Rickson I've had several Crowns on various jackets and never had a problem.
Please ask also for others opinion.... but..
The RECENT ( less than 5 YO) BR jacket(s) and no exceptions ...is(are) absolutely inaccurate ( historically... several posts on this topic already) high priced for a Made in China components set ( final assembling, labeling in Japan though... for marketing reasons).
Their ( post WW2 ) Crown zipper is total BS ( mine has some plasic parts!!!! ) since it already falls appart” read dies and does not close” after a few ups and downs only... also posted/discussed here several times
I compared with the original ( jackets) zips..and jackets...Happy to read others.

Last edited:

stanier

Really? That's gone right over my head! I know a few have moaned about ELC Crowns but beyond that and the odd broken zip across Talon, Crown etc. I dont recall much else. I do recall someone having a compatibility issue with Crown original and Buzz repro, but don't think that makes them crap necessarily. No plastic on any of my Buzz Crowns and trying to think when I got the last one.

Pilot

Really? That's gone right over my head! I know a few have moaned about ELC Crowns but beyond that and the odd broken zip across Talon, Crown etc. I dont recall much else. I do recall someone having a compatibility issue with Crown original and Buzz repro, but don't think that makes them crap necessarily. No plastic on any of my Buzz Crowns and trying to think when I got the last one.
Lucky you!
...my BR B-15C ( 1 YO ) is awailable. :)Happy to list it in a while... for a bargain of 250 Euro ...lets see how many takers...
BTW ELC and BR... same Crown zips.. :cool:

Dany McDonald

I second pilot, Buzz repro Crown, 2nd Model (M48), #5 is crap. I've had one L-2 American Pad & L-2A Superior Togs #5 zip loose it's indexing properties (zip is separating).
It seems that the puller design or material (too soft) is flawed. And you can't interchange an original M48 #5 to a Buzz zip tape, they are not compatible and quite different.

That being said, I've not had any problems ''yet'' with Buzz repro Crown, 2nd Model (M-48) #10. I own two Buzz B-15C, probably older models than the current offering and they are still working correctly.

The real letdown is that you could just change the Buzz puller with new one and prolong the life of your jacket but Buzz doesn't give a shit and will not answer emails or let the BIG two reseller US & EU sell them... So for me Buzz jackets are on the blacklist.

I was quite surprised when I received an older Real Mccoy L-2 Reed with ORIGINAL Crown M48 # 5 that works flawlessly compared to Buzz. So go Mccoy for your L-2's and B-15!

And Buzz Nylon is so dull (no sheen) compared to originals.

Regards,

Dany

Pilot

I second pilot, Buzz repro Crown, 2nd Model (M48), #5 is crap. I've had one L-2 American Pad & L-2A Superior Togs #5 zip loose it's indexing properties (zip is separating).
It seems that the puller design or material (too soft) is flawed. And you can't interchange an original M48 #5 to a Buzz zip tape, they are not compatible and quite different.

That being said, I've not had any problems ''yet'' with Buzz repro Crown, 2nd Model (M-48) #10. I own two Buzz B-15C, probably older models than the current offering and they are still working correctly.

The real letdown is that you could just change the Buzz puller with new one and prolong the life of your jacket but Buzz doesn't give a shit and will not answer emails or let the BIG two reseller US & EU sell them... So for me Buzz jackets are on the blacklist.

I was quite surprised when I received an older Real Mccoy L-2 Reed with ORIGINAL Crown M48 # 5 that works flawlessly compared to Buzz. So go Mccoy for your L-2's and B-15!

And Buzz Nylon is so dull (no sheen) compared to originals.

Regards,

Dany
Thx. Dany, can only 1000% concur....

Pilot

IMHO, they went Big Bogus a few years ago when they started contract manufacturing or subcontracting in China... Sad!
Lost it all incl. €€$££$¥$£ buyers.... according to other ( Asian) forums as well.

Dany McDonald

Pilot,

I did not know that Toyo/Buzz had some of their USAAF/USAF kit subcontracted in China. It could explain some inconsistencies in later offerings. But that doesn't mean it's China thats delivering cheaper Buzz products. For the zippers, they are probably made in Japan anyways.

Look at their LSL B-10 and L-2 American Pad, they are still very nice kits!

And the thing with Mccoy Nylon L-2's and B-15,for example, they look more authentic with age. Not sure I can say this with my older Buzz B-15...

Thank you for the info.

Dany