• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I dread to think how much I've spent...

Micawber

....on jackets and other gear over the decades but coming across a large folder of receipts from the likes of Manion's and an infant Ebay back in the day brought it home somewhat. It also brought home how much stuff I sold on over the years too.

Wish I still had records of prices on all the WW2 gear I picked up for what would now be considered peanuts in the 60s & 70s too. In a way it all seemed so much easier back then - despite the lack of technology 40 or 50 years ago. I used to love rummaging through piles of "stuff" and scouring the local papers and Exchange and Mart every Thursday.

Now my interest is peaking again I realise things just ain't what they used to be ;)

IMG_20181030_105740397.jpg

Last edited:

Micawber

I threw away, burned and latterly shredded most of the associated paperwork years ago but must have overlooked this little stash, it's painful to read!

MeachamLake

Hey, I look at it this way; as long as you're not so addicted to jackets that you're stealing money from the poor to feed yourself, it's money well spent. :)

Plenty of other people spend far too much money on other seemingly ludicrous hobbies anyway...if it's worth it to you and it gives you enjoyment, that's the main thing.

Plus, at least you can always sell them if you do need the money! Can't say that for everything...

Micawber

If I had kept everything I would not be having these pangs of regret brought on by unearthing these few remaining receipts and invoices now! It's all relative of course.

Officer Dibley

Many of us are in the same boat. I sell on mostly due to needing to fund the latest must-have and a having a small house.

But look at it this way, you had the pleasure of acquiring, owning and re-homing cool stuff. And buying and then selling means not a huge net loss (hopefully)

Think how a smoker might feel after a lifetime of buying something that was a brief "pleasure" that adversely affects their health !

w1rc

Plus, at least you can always sell them if you do need the money! Can't say that for everything...

Ah, but can we? I am into collecting many and sundry things and we are asking ourselves this question: “Who is going to want this stuff in ten years?”

The sad news is that many young people do not seem at all interested in preserving relics of the past. I see it in all collecting hobbies ranging from antique cars to military radios. This is why over the past ten years or so I have been slowly “divesting” much of the stuff I have collected in fifty five years of collecting. I call this my “pre-estate sale.” It is incumbent on us, who are, after all, merely temporary custodians of this stuff to find a good home for them when the time comes when we no longer need them. I am finding it a very satisfying experience when someone agrees to take care of a piece I have treasured for a number of years. But so not leave it to your heirs and executors because it is likely they will give it away because they have no idea of what it is or its value.

I have attended the Stowe (Vermont) car show since the 1960s, Attendance these days is 1/4 of what it used to be. The prices of many (but not all) antique and classic cars is falling.

The collectibles market is quite fluid these days and we better keep an eye on it.

Last edited:

MeachamLake

Ah, but can we? I am into collecting many and sundry things and we are asking ourselves this question: “Who is going to want this stuff in ten years?”

The sad news is that many young people do not seem at all interested in preserving relics of the past. I see it in all collecting hobbies ranging from antique cars to military radios. This is why over the past ten years or so I have been slowly “divesting” much of the stuff I have collected in fifty five years of collecting. I call this my “pre-estate sale.” It is incumbent on us, who are, after all, merely temporary custodians of this stuff to find a good home for them when the time comes when we no longer need them. I am finding it a very satisfying experience when someone agrees to take care of a piece I have treasured for a number of years. But so not leave it to your heirs and executors because it is likely they will give it away because they have no idea of what it is or its value.

I have attended the Stowe (Vermont) car show since the 1960s, Attendance these days is 1/4 of what it used to be. The prices of many (but not all) antique and classic cars is falling.

The collectibles market is quite fluid these days and we better keep an eye on it.

Hey, I’m 24 and I’m massively into WW2 history and, as a result, jackets. Don’t give up hope yet!

w1rc

Hey, I’m 24 and I’m massively into WW2 history and, as a result, jackets. Don’t give up hope yet!
It is good to see that some young people are following us in wanting to preserve our history. I am still trying to determine how much interest there is in this Forum group on authentic flight jackets as collectible items and how much is focused on the post-war official government and commercial remakes for wearing.

My interests happen to lie in both areas.

Notwithstanding my point here is that every collecting hobby needs newcomers with an interest so we will have someone to pass this stuff to when we no longer need it. We do not own this stuff; we only have temporary custody and it is our responsibility to pass it along to someone who will take care of it until they pass it along to the next costodian.

Pilot

A divorce costs much more than jackets and WW2 memorabilia...so lets enjoy spend for the jackets...:):):)
Also, Smoking costs a fortune nowadays (if not living in SEA)...Jackets are healthier.

Stony

I can't even begin to try and figure out how much I've spent on flight jackets and related gear over years, but I always seem to come back to the genre when I tend to wander away from it. I got into vintage golf collectables for a while, and while the cost of that hobby mostly pales to flight jackets, it was very enjoyable. I still have a few pieces though.

Micawber

A divorce costs much more than jackets and WW2 memorabilia...so lets enjoy spend for the jackets...:):):)
Also, Smoking costs a fortune nowadays (if not living in SEA)...Jackets are healthier.

I've been married for very nearly three decades to a very understanding wife and can't comment on the cost of a divorce through direct personal experience. We have a couple of grown up kids and they've never been cheap, got horses too and have what feels like an ever open wallet as far as they are concerned! :eek:

w1rc

Collecting “stuff” is much better than spending your money on liquor, drugs or loose women. We derive a lot of enjoyment from collecting and, more important, we meet other collectors; people who we would never become friends with in a million years if it were not for the common interest. In the late 1960s I started collecting police badges and still have the best pieces of my collection to this day. I made some great friends with guys and gals who are, surprisingly enough, police officers. I don’t collect actively these days and am slowly divesting myself of some of the items but the friendships remain.

I have a number of other collections but the same principles apply.

Plus I have learned a lot.

My point being that there is a time to invest amd a time to divest. However in order to divest there must be new (and younger) collectors.

Last edited: