• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I did it...now you can finally call me a jacket nerd...

Griffon_301

Today, after a few troubles with idiosyncrasies of the Austrian Post services, I received my first repro ELC RW 27752 A-2 courtesy of Brice who sold it to me... The jacket is a stunner!!!! Probably the most beautiful leather jacket I own now. I never thought that I will say an A-2 looks better than a M-422a or G-1, but this day has arrived...and it seems Ingot a near perfect fit as well...pictures to follow if course...for now, only one pic, I need some coffee now and the Doggo ladies want to go out a little as well...very happy camper here in all regards....

Attachments

• 20191008_102256.jpg
    20191008_102256.jpg
    10.5 MB · Views: 258

Griffon_301

That's the plan :) I have already tried to wear my B-6 over it as several pilots and cream members did and the fit is still great and I can move with both jackets as well...might not layer two jackets over each other often but the possibility is there....

And I think I will keep myself away from that darkness that A-2 collecting is...

Might look for a good ANJ-4 in the future but for now I guess I will just wear and enjoy what I have :)

Griffon_301

And when did 'we' become jacket nerds?

I did not want to step onto anyone´s toes here - if i did unintentionally, I apologize - but my girlfriend calls me a jacket nerd ever since I started explaining to her the differences in the design, the difference between a USN and a USAAF jacket (to her thats just flightjackets), or the reason why the B series jackets are labelled B while there is also this A-2, weird, nerdy stuff to her :D
In the beginning, she understood that after the light G-1, a heavier sheepskin might be useful and she even loves my Irvin for the looks of it; then came the N-1 followed by the B-15 and she started to question my wisdom of having so many jackets that are basically just "the same", as she calls it - very warm jackets for cold weather.
thats when I started to explain to her the mentioned differences and reasons, why this or that jacket was designed.
to her, they remained "jackets"
just a few weeks ago, when I had the 37J1 in the washing machine several times before having the VB-2 patch applied, and then also giving the blue Deck Hook some washings too, she just shook her head in disbelief and I think she has given up on trying to understand all that stuff by now...
at least she visits the airshows with me and nowadays most of the times approves of the jackets or other "nerdy stuff" I buy-she even likes some of those thingies...oh did I forget to mention I am an unbelievably lucky guy to have a significant other like her :)

Last edited:

Flightengineer

I did not want to step onto anyone´s toes here - if i did unintentionally, I apologize - but my girlfriend calls me a jacket nerd ever since I started explaining to her the differences in the design, the difference between a USN and a USAAF jacket (to her thats just flightjackets), or the reason why the B series jackets are labelled B while there is also this A-2, weird, nerdy stuff to her :D
In the beginning, she understood that after the light G-1, a heavier sheepskin might be useful and she even loves my Irvin for the looks of it; then came the N-1 followed by the B-15 and she started to question my wisdom of having so many jackets that are basically just "the same", as she calls it - very warm jackets for cold weather.
thats when I started to explain to her the mentioned differences and reasons, why this or that jacket was designed.
to her, they remained "jackets"
just a few weeks ago, when I had the 37J1 in the washing machine several times before having the VB-2 patch applied, and then also giving the blue Deck Hook some washings too, she just shook her head in disbelief and I think she has given up on trying to understand all that stuff by now...
at least she visits the airshows with me and nowadays most of the times approves of the jackets or other "nerdy stuff" I buy-she even likes some of those thingies...oh did I forget to mention I am an unbelievably lucky guy to have a significant other like her :)

You are lucky that she goes to the airshows with you and at least partially shares your hobby. Maybe you just shouldn’t explain to her the nuances of the contracts and subtle differences? And then you won’t be a "nerd" :)
Take a moment and rejoice, because over time she can change her mind. Age, children, routine ...
Despite the fact that my wife has aviation past she quite calm about my jackets and the fact that they appear from time to time and disappear. She used to like them more, now she has a neutral stance. Not the worst option.

Griffon_301

You are lucky that she goes to the airshows with you and at least partially shares your hobby. Maybe you just shouldn’t explain to her the nuances of the contracts and subtle differences? And then you won’t be a "nerd" :)
Take a moment and rejoice, because over time she can change her mind. Age, children, routine ...
Despite the fact that my wife has aviation past she quite calm about my jackets and the fact that they appear from time to time and disappear. She used to like them more, now she has a neutral stance. Not the worst option.

I am extremely lucky :) its more a friendly banter we have over my jackets - she is into the rather expensive brands of handbags, so its a tit for tat mostly - jackets vs bags, or the duel of the giants ELC vs LV :D
and as said, she is coming with me to the various airshows I go, at least for one day, if I do both days at Duxford for example;
she likes the atmosphere there and I have managed to make her recognize the different aircraft types too, but other than that, she is not really interested in aviation and related stuff like I am, but thats fully ok - to each his/her own hobbies :D

Saint-ex

My wife also call me Jacket nerd since I spend a lot of time to looking Jacket's pictures...

But I must say that I am lucky enough also: she agreed to go honeymoon in Hawaii (which is a long trip from Paris) mainly because I wanted to see Pearl Harbor. :D

Anyway, it's a really nice jacket @Griffon_301

B-Man2

Find a flight jacket that she thinks is cool and really likes .......buy it for her. She wears the jacket a few times .... she gets addicted to them..... she becomes a need like us......and Voila!!
problem solved
(No need to thank me, the smile on your face is thanks enough;) )

Griffon_301

I have tried that tactic already but she was not so enthusiastic about the idea...as said she is more into these certain brands of handbags and I'll leave it at that...that way I always know what makes her happy if I need a present and also, she doesn't start to take over my jacket wardrobe and wear my jackets