• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HPA ELC Werber A-2 Relaunched

saucerfiend

OK, so I was probably the only one and misread a few posts here. Apologies.
I had a Brand new Werber sent to me from one of the guys that sell them on Ebay. I thought the knits were the quality of delux sock material. Very cheap as was the rest of the jacket. The leather was very thin and one of the snaps came off as I unsnapped the collar. Needless to say, I send the garbage straight back for a refund.

Brian

Pilot

How can you not love this?

View attachment 41936
I love this hide... no doubt!
I like „ United Carr“ pocket snaps ( even the budget newcomers use them... plus they dont come off ;)) and wristlet knits who last at least as long as others in this price segment... when wearing them daily...
Plus:...but thats me...
I dont like the single line stitched epaulets ... just my personal taste.

Last edited:

ausreenactor

But you don’t wear most of your collection and those you do wear, not often due to climate Couchy.
And as you buy them as an investment, i’d wager Micawber wear his harder in a weekend than you do in 5 years.
That’s not a criticism but an observation. I’m jealous of your collection ;) But observations are subjective.
And i too have never had a problem but i know many who have. Some due to weak wool, some due to folk pulling their arms out by pulling the knit to pull the arm out. Others due to silly massive watches.
Just some thoughts,
Dave

The ELC Monarch gets probably four hours of wear daily when in Brisbane. Up to 10 hours on the weekends. I live in it.... I guess I am just more cautious than most..

ausreenactor

I had a Brand new Werber sent to me from one of the guys that sell them on Ebay. I thought the knits were the quality of delux sock material. Very cheap as was the rest of the jacket. The leather was very thin and one of the snaps came off as I unsnapped the collar. Needless to say, I send the garbage straight back for a refund.

Brian

What did you buy to replace it?

ausreenactor

But you don’t wear most of your collection and those you do wear, not often due to climate Couchy.
And as you buy them as an investment, i’d wager Micawber wear his harder in a weekend than you do in 5 years.
That’s not a criticism but an observation. I’m jealous of your collection ;) But observations are subjective.
And i too have never had a problem but I know many who have. Some due to weak wool, some due to folk pulling their arms out by pulling the knit to pull the arm out. Others due to silly massive watches.
Just some thoughts,
Dave

After a robust year of wear. Bearing in mind this was Vic's Monarch before me. And I have a big arse watch. Probably the cause of the bulge on that one knit.

20200817_124306.jpg

Silver Surfer

dunno how the knit thing got started vis a vis etc, I have owned several of their jackets, and my Werber [gets plenty of wearing shows it] was made in '97, and none of them had excessive knit wear. a couple moth holes over the years, some light outter edge wear, but not the kinda wear some of the guys here describe. perhaps etc got some shitty knits during a period of production? heavy handed treatment by the owners? mice? dunno.

stanier

dunno how the knit thing got started vis a vis etc, I have owned several of their jackets, and my Werber [gets plenty of wearing shows it] was made in '97, and none of them had excessive knit wear. a couple moth holes over the years, some light outter edge wear, but not the kinda wear some of the guys here describe. perhaps etc got some shitty knits during a period of production? heavy handed treatment by the owners? mice? dunno.

I agree. My ELC Star is about 4 years old I think and whilst not abused, certainly isn't babied. I've worn a few different watches and been rained on and pulled the jacket off by the knits and the knits are in perfect shape. They feel chunky and robust.

bn1966

I did abuse a RW, wore it pretty much everywhere, everyday for several years and did in the lining and Cuffs. Sent it back to ELC for a refurb in the end. Going to give the Monarch a good going over now :)

bn1966

Must admit to loving those Eastman A-2’s and can just about swallow the cost given the mileage I get out of them, difficult to say the same about those that wouldn’t see the dame degree of wear. If I only could own one jacket it would likely be an Eastman A-2.

Moved up from a 46 to a 48 with the Monarch & am enjoying not being straitjacketed by the thing (unlike the 46 RW). Fine over here over a T when the temperatures aren’t in the late 20’s to early 30’s and will take a fine sweater giving some cold cover too.